Hello Remington 700 Forum
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello Remington 700 Forum

Hi all;

Happy to be joining in with a group of knowledgeable Remington owners. I'm the proud owner of a new (old) Remington 700 in .223. I've been scouring the internet and believe I have a Police model manufactured in 1989. I purchased this beauty along with an 870 Marine Magnum from a retired DEA agent who moved out of the country. I'm hoping someone can confirm my research. As it appears in unfired condition as what I was told by the agent. The Marine Magnum came with an Owner's Manual and original purchase receipt but I was not so fortunate with the 700.

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking .223.

Welcome to the Forum from New York. Let us know I little more about you and the kind of shooting you do.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by pointfivezero View Post
    Hi all;

Happy to be joining in with a group of knowledgeable Remington owners. I'm the proud owner of a new (old) Remington 700 in .223. I've been scouring the internet and believe I have a Police model manufactured in 1989. I purchased this beauty along with an 870 Marine Magnum from a retired DEA agent who moved out of the country. I'm hoping someone can confirm my research. As it appears in unfired condition as what I was told by the agent. The Marine Magnum came with an Owner's Manual and original purchase receipt but I was not so fortunate with the 700.

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
    I think you have it right as to original date of manufacture. If its a 700P it should have a X40 trigger and a aluminum bedding block for the action. In that timeframe I believe it would have a 24" barrel. Not sure of the twist but if you don't see twist given on the barrel it probably 1 in 12. As for the trigger this is what I understand but can't personally verify:

"The 40X Repeater trigger group is identical to a standard (Walker) pre 2006 700 trigger group with the adjustment screw modification located fwd of the trigger shoe/lever & between the bolt release tab."
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Nice looking .223.

Welcome to the Forum from New York. Let us know I little more about you and the kind of shooting you do.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome note. Have owned guns going back to before I had a driver's license. Everything from .22 to .50 caliber (hence my handle). Have spent the last 20 years here in California so the current selection is very limited. I am a casual shooter at best. Spend some time at the 100 yd range a few miles up the road here on the east side of the Bay. Favorites over the years were an almost complete collection of WWII rifles from all major countries and of course, my three 50 BMG's.

Look forward to watching and learning from everyone on the forum!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    I think you have it right as to original date of manufacture. If its a 700P it should have a X40 trigger and a aluminum bedding block for the action. In that timeframe I believe it would have a 24" barrel. Not sure of the twist but if you don't see twist given on the barrel it probably 1 in 12. As for the trigger this is what I understand but can't personally verify:

"The 40X Repeater trigger group is identical to a standard (Walker) pre 2006 700 trigger group with the adjustment screw modification located fwd of the trigger shoe/lever & between the bolt release tab."
    Hi Doom,

Really appreciate the information. I can confirm it is a 24" heavy barrel. There is no twist information though. I have taken some close up pictures of the bolt and trigger assembly. Hopefully this will solve the mystery but if not, I can take some additional pictures.

Thanks again,

Tim

IMG_6464.jpgIMG_6465.jpgIMG_6466.jpg

Very nice finds; welcome to the forum from Alabama!

Ditto from ND

Tim,

Got a cleaning rod with a handle that swivels? Easy to put a brush on and measure how much rod it takes while pushing in to get one revolution. Easy to determine your actual twist.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

The link below shows a 40-x trigger with the adjustment screw. I can’t see from the photos if you have it. It looks like your trigger has the ridges on it so it most probably the original, be it a Walker or 40-X.

Team 40X

Remington triggers are a whole discussion unto themselves. And an excellent example of how someone modifies a design to avoid patent infringement!
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

Hey - thanks to all for the warm welcome! Great to be among friends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast