Hey Folks
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hey Folks

Hey Folks

Glad to found a community about Remington 700. Been wanting since I tried it 2 months ago. Found one for sale about 1/2 hour away but have to wait till the pandemic dust settle. Gonna spend some time reading around here for now.

Welcome to the forum,what kind of 700 you looking at?
    DenzelB likes this.

Welcome to the Forum from New York. Where are you from? What kind of shooting do you do?

Bob
    DenzelB likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the welcome. It's an SPS tactical.

What cal ? .308 ?
    DenzelB likes this.

Yes sorry, a .308.

Denzel, Where are you from and what kind of shooting to you manly do? The .308 is a very versatile cartridge.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Bob I'm from GA. The rifle belongs to uncle's friend who's getting rid of some of his rifle. I tried to shoot before at 300yards with average success so he offered me his 700 he's shooting at 500-700yards using factory ammo. Upon further research it can shoot at more than 1000yards. It started to feel it's too technical and powerful to my current skills.

The 700 in .308 is a great platform to build your shooting skills on. It is capable of superb accuracy with hand loaded ammo and almost all of them will shoot 1 MOA or less with decent factory ammo. The only two things usually needed as a starting point with modifying the gun would be to float the barrel and bed the action. A new trigger would be next in my opinion.

Get some trigger time at 100 then moved up as you are comfortable. What kind of optics are on the rifle? If you are going to shoot ffrom 100 to 1,000 you are going to need to be able to change the bases for your scope of change inserts in rings like the Burris Signature Z rings.

Without knowing the twist of your barrel or what projectiles you will be shooting, it is hard to know what the flight path will look like, but you can expect that a .308 sighted in at 100 yards is going to need more than 40 MOA added to reach out to 1,000. Though you can crank that in with some scopes, I like my scopes at zero, much closer to the mod-range of their adjustments. They get more finicky as you move to far away from that.

For my 1000 yard .308 F Class rifle (Built on a 700 bliueprinted action) I am using Lapua PALMA brass and getting great results.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Yeah what rkittine said,start out at 100 and work up just because it can shoot to 1000 yards doesn’t mean you have to.
    I’m up to 600 yards on mine and until I get the results I’m looking for,I’m staying there then moving up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast