Howdy from Eastern Shore
Join Today

Howdy from Eastern Shore

Long time viewer, now member; my favorite 700, a special run M-40 type .223 1-9 twist, fluted, BC stock and added Timmey trigger. Last outing shot @ .428 @ 100, 24.5 Varget 60 gr V-max, its favorite load.

Where on the Eastern Shore are you? I have been looking for a waterfront property on the Chesapeake.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

If your looking @ Chesapeake Region, must be Chesapeake Bay? If so, look @ Easton, MD area of Talbot County. Waterfront property is expensive and so are the taxes but since you from N.Y. they would be much less than you're used too. The Bay area growing rapidly this year, people escaping your region and Washington D.C. area to live a safer & quieter life style.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Have looked in Annapolis, Chesapeake Beach and Solomins so far. Even Annapolis is about 1/3 of the cost of my house on water in Sag Harbor with taxes about 1/5th. Solomins is 1/10th

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Annapolis is on Western Shore, very nice way too crowded so no gain leaving N.Y.; Cheaspeake Beach not that much of a gain over Annapolis while Solomans Island is nice but isolated. You be better off on Eastern Shore either Queens Ann's County or Talbot County, cheaper taxes with easier access to Annapolis and BWI airport. Now there is Chestertown, MD in Kent County have friend retire there on the water, so isolated, just nothing there and long drive of RT. 50, the gateway to Eastern Shore. You'll make out like a bandit selling N.Y. property for MD but its all relative. Just an FYI, riparian taxes are very high for the view. The fishing not bad either. A friend off mine lives on 100 acres in Talbot County but not on tidal water, his taxes $1500 a year. Since you like to shoot, you will have to drive to shoot, that's the way it is on the Shore.

Look @ OXford, MD, Easton, MD & St. Michaels, MD; you'll thank me later ...........

When you look @ water property, be sure its "Rip Rap" large rocks to guard against erosion, it runs $100 a foot.

I have looked on the Eastern Shore. Since I also have an apartment in Manhattan, I like being closer to lots of people and restaurants. Looked at the Virginia Chesapeake area too, but that was for sure not for me. I agree that Solomon's is a little out of the way, though I have found a few restaurants there that I really like and have friends that live there.

I looked up around Harve De Grace too. Also not for me, though closer to DC / Philly and Manhattan.

Since I fly my own plane, I will be leaving a car at the Annapolis Airport and that will be my normal entry. I have a number of friends on the Bay. Currently my Chesapeake Get Away is a Sea Ray 40 Fly Bridge. Fine for a long weekend, but tight for longer periods.

Yep, I know about Rip Rap. My house in Sag Harbor has 173 foot of waterfront and is bulk headed, which is what I like the most, but when I replaced it 8 years ago it was almost $200 per foot.

Bob

1 YALE.jpg
    Last edited by rkittine; 11-20-2020 at 07:06 AM.
    Robert Kittine

I guess Sag Harbor in Long Island or Up State; beautiful place, reminds me of Talbot County. Easton, MD. has it local airport just west of town on Rt. 50. Annapolis is nice, lots to do but its a zoo, ask yourself what is it going to be like in 5 years. You can say that about your area too? The Mid Atlantic all the way to Florida is feeling the "escape from New York". Friends in North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida are seeing more "Empire" license tags than ever. I manage new members for one of my gun clubs and interviewing more out of state arrivals from your region the last 2 years than local population.

As far a Annapolis, (Western Shore) they have a small gun club, its a fish & game club, either travel to Scanner Lake in Charles County or North of Baltimore for Metallic shooting and PG Shooting Center in PG County for Shotgun Sports, its sponsored by the County but no stopping off outside the shooting facility, a little scary.

Eastern Shore has some of the nicest Sporting clay facilities short distance from Easton, Talbot Rod & Gun Club has skeet, trap and nice 5 stand. Some of Remington's retirees live in Easton, they fell in love with it after all the time they spent at Remington Farms outside Chestertown, MD. The DuPonts kept the farm after they sold Remington, its renamed Chesapeake Farms. its still used to entertain corporate giants. While you have to travel on the shore to shoot, I belong to 3 separate clubs on the "Shore", one for shooting steel with handgun (Action Pistol & Rifle), Talbot Rod and Gun (Easton) and Salisbury Gun Club for shotgun and rifle.

The biggest problem on western shore is the far left anti gun stance and development that threatens shooting facilities. We don't have those issues on the shore its another reason why its a better choice.

Its like moving to "Mayberry" over here, we wanted that change just miss the Mid Atlantic gun shows but got away from collecting just months before the melt down. I had a gut feeling, after 2008 the collectable has not gained a dime, prices have fallen further.
    Last edited by mayor; 11-22-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Hi mayor,

A warm welcome to the700 rifle forum.

Visit often.