Hi From The Arizona High Desert
Join Today
    Junior Member highdesertshooter's Avatar

Hi From The Arizona High Desert

Hi. I'm new to the Remington 700. I own several other hunting rifles and have been reloading my own ammo for 17 years. I just purchased a new left over 700 Long Action Magnum receiver and I need a bit of tech advice on my build. Thanks.

rem 700 long action magnum.jpg

There are a couple of Magnum receivers depending on case length. It affects the feed rails. I'm not familiar with the magnums but that info if you can find out which you have will help in you evaluation.

I doubt Remington can provide any help right now.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

Welcome to the forum from New York.

What caliber are you wanting to build your new rifle for and what will the use be?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Welcome to the forum from New York.

What caliber are you wanting to build your new rifle for and what will the use be?

Bob
    300 Win Mag for long range Mule Deer and Elk. I have a set of headspace gauges for belted magnums but I've only used them on a Savage 110. It seems as though on the 700 the headspace for belted magnum cartridges depends on the recoil lug. It's been hard finding the correct thickness for the recoil lug I would need.
    Last edited by highdesertshooter; 12-17-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Head space is the cartridge chamber not the recoil lug,if you think the lug is loose bed it.

The thickness of the recoil lug will alter the headspace of an already chambered screw in barrel.

Remingtons have a shoulder that butts up against the recoil lug, so thinning it would reduce headspace, but only so much. You can only take off so much metal before the recoil lug would start to flex too much for any kind of repeatable accuracy. If you have excessive headspace in a Remington I suspect the preferred course of action would be to shave off some of the recoil shoulder of the barrel and to take the same amount off the breech face or specify having the barrel threaded.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 12-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    Robert Kittine

The thickness of the recoil lug will alter the headspace of an already chambered screw in barrel.

Remingtons have a shoulder that butts up against the recoil lug, so thinning it would reduce headspace, but only so much. You can only take off so much metal before the recoil lug would start to flex too much for any kind of repeatable accuracy. If you have excessive headspace in a Remington I suspect the preferred course of action would be to shave off some of the recoil shoulder of the barrel and to take the same amount off the breech face or specify having the barrel threaded.

Bob
    Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. I'll post pictures of my build in another thread as I move along.

The most difficult thing it seems was finding a stock for a left hand long action magnum 700. I think I found one at Numrich.

Nothing at Boyd's?
    Robert Kittine

Nothing at Boyd's?
    I checked out Boyd's website and bookmarked it. If the stock I ordered from Numrich is in too poor of a condition I'll return it and get one from Boyd's.

Hi highdesertshooter,

A warm welcome to the 700 Rifle forum.

Visit often.