New guy from California
Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New guy from California

New guy from California

Purchased a 700 ADL combo recently and came across this forum while researching my first rifle purchase. Looking forward to checking out this forum more, from what I've seen so far there's plenty of helpful people here that can offer guidance.

Welcome to the forum from the opposite coast. What caliber? Combo, meaning with a scope? Post a picture of your new 700.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Thanks for the welcome Bob.

Yes, that's what I meant, a rifle with scope combo. It's a low cost combo that was available at Sportsman's Warehouse, from what I've read the scope is presumed to be a cheap Bushnell 3-9 x 40. It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm waiting for it to come in to the store, which is on the 12/31, then I have to wait another 10 days before they will release it. I'll be more than happy to post a picture once I have it in my possession.

Jon

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Enjoy,

I have seen those deals lower in price than just purchasing an action.
    Robert Kittine

Thank you, I'm looking forward to taking it out to the range.

I've seen some high end actions such as Impact Precision, Defiant, and Bighorn, to name a few, that make custom actions around the $1,300 range. The combo was less than half that. I think the Remington 700 action is a solid start for a beginner that I can upgrade around as I develop my skills. It seems to be a popular action, from what I've read, being used by the pro's so I can use it for awhile until I feel the need for an upgrade.

It’s your first rifle,you’ll probably keep it forever.
    jp1976 likes this.

Yes, the Remington 700 Action is one of the most popular actions for accurate rifles. Many of the custom actions out there at 700 Clones and drop right in where a 700 would fit. A good custom action starts at about $995.00 and you can spend twice that if you want. Keep in mind that if you were to buy a S/S Remington 700 action only, they run about $450.00, or at least they did before all the new issues at Remington. The going rate to "True" of "Blueprint" one is about $275.00 so about $725.00, which is why many go the low end of custom action range instead.

Most Remington 700s with proper reloads will shoot 1 MOA out of the box. Change the trigger, bed the action and float the barrel and you can expect .75 or better with handloads.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by jp1976 View Post
    Thank you, I'm looking forward to taking it out to the range.

I've seen some high end actions such as Impact Precision, Defiant, and Bighorn, to name a few, that make custom actions around the $1,300 range. The combo was less than half that. I think the Remington 700 action is a solid start for a beginner that I can upgrade around as I develop my skills. It seems to be a popular action, from what I've read, being used by the pro's so I can use it for awhile until I feel the need for an upgrade.
    I've shot 700 SPS .223 under 1/2" @ 3/8" with handloads @ 100, 700 SPS HB .308 @ 1/2" @ 100 and 700 5R @ .35 -.428 @ 100. While not custom or even semi custom rifles, seen 700 out shoots rifles 2x & 3x their cost so don't let the price of the rifle bother you as the truth is how the bullets fly. I have never NOT been able to get a 700 to shoot sub MOA. Remington has sold over 8 million 700's, its not they were the cheapest rifle on the rack as they earned a reputation for accuracy.

A long time friend was firearms instructor @ Police Academy; they purchased three $7000 each sniper rifles hoping to improve their advantage over the Remington 700 police .308 models. The 700 Police models were under $1000 and out shot the $7000 rifles when they matched them up.
    jp1976 likes this.

Remington's Head of Police Sales is a member at my home club. He has brought many of the police weapons to the club for demos with the local police. With the distances that the police might need to snipe, the Remington 700 is for sure accurate enough.

Bob
    jp1976 likes this.
    Robert Kittine

Hi jp1976,

A warm welcome to the 700 Rifle Forum.

Visit often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast