Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We managed to make it out shooting again today. We did some angled shooting because it had been sometime since we've done it last. It was a good reason to brush up and get Tyler and Jimmy up to speed. After we set everything up we headed to the top of the hill/small mountain to range everything.

We had 4 targets alpha, bravo, charlie and delta. Line of sight ranges varied from 350 yards to 583 yards, the angles varied from 25 degrees to 15 degrees. The 1st stage was ran the way the Ashfork, Arizona match is ran. 1 target at a time, you have a 1 min prep. time at the end of which you start off your rifle and begin your 1 min shoot time. Once you shoot your first round you have 10 seconds to send its follow up.

The second stage was a lot of fun. We shot the targets in a clockwise order A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D.. ect. The shooter had a par time of 80 seconds, he started with a magazine loaded, bolt back and off the rifle. At the start of the par time he shot at the targets in order using only hold overs. You couldn't advance to the next target until you connected with your first target. Beau was the high shooter with 5 hits. The wind was really whipping out there so it made things tricky.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We use a protractor with a weighted string and a sight (straw). You look through the sight and measure the angle from 90. If the sting is at 105 degrees when your looking at the target you know the angle to the target is 15 degrees. 105-90= 15, you then use the cosine for 15 degrees to make the correction between LOS (line of sight range) and HR (horizontal range). You can also use the pythagorean theorem if you know some of the variables.

OR

You can buy a slope doper

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
desertdog said:
Cool, thanks Im looking into that slope doper seems like thats the ticket.
It's a glorafied protractor. Make youself a cosine cheat sheet and you can make your own protractor slope doper for like $2. If I remember I'll post a picture of mine, its so stupid simple to make and you'll save money! :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use the protracter too Joe. Is that slope doper thicker? Is it smaller? My protractor always ends up broken. :(

·
Registered
277 Posts
BTW - that is one little slice of heaven you guys have out west! Perfect place for stand off weapons. (and you have the high ground)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know I've never messed with a slope doper so I couldn't tell you much about it other than the obvious. I keep my protractor in my Storm Tactical dope book. It has a little holder in the back, its been cracked and I've just taped it together and the thing is still ticking. I used suture string for my plum line and a key ring as a weight.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ive got a hi-tech rangefinder that does it for me but always need a backup plan. i love the protractor and im sure it works great but call me stupid.....how do you use it? do you hold the flat part next to rifle and look at where string is hanging to get angle or do you hold it in hand and aim it at target . to a flatlander this is greek and no im not going to some web site . i hope that somebody will explain to the dumbass (me) excatley how to use it. thanks to any one who takes the time to break it down.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wow. I, too, would kill for land like that to shoot on. You guys are doing it right.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'll post a pic of mine too when I get in tomorrow. Mine has a piece of 550 gut as the line and a .45acp brass cassing as the weight.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everything I need to DOPE shots is in this book.

Angle tool resides in the back of the book.

Here it is!

Once you make your sextant aka angle reading tool, whip up a cosine cheat sheet. I have two, one on my gun with cosine's from 1 degree to 40 degrees and one I keep in my book is from 0-90 degrees in 5 degree increments.

To use the sextant you look through the straw and place your target in the center. Let string hang free and when it stops swinging pinch in against the protractor. How ever many degrees from 90 the string is tells you the angle to your target.

Example.

If the string is at 105 degrees after viewing the target and pinching the string against the protractor once it stopped swinging. The sextant is telling you that it is 15 degrees to your target 105-90= 15 degrees.

Look at your cheat sheet and find the cosine for 15 degrees (0.966). Now that we know the angle and its cosine we take our line of sight range which you either range estimated using your reticle, ranged with GPS or used a laser range finder. Either way we know two variables our LOS range and angle cosine.

Now take your LOS range and multiply it by the angle cosine. Your answer will be the corrected range or horizontal range (HR). In our case say the target is 600 yards away, we know the target is at a 15 degree angle.

600 yards x 0.966 = 579.6 yards

So, when taking the shot you would dial for 580 yards not 600 yards. Depending on the target size you'd probably hit the target anyway. It takes a significant amount of angle to make a big change in LOS range and HR range.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just for shits and giggles Im gonna get a Slope Doper and I plan on doing a write up and review. Im also gonna email the owner of slope doper and see about a forum discount.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys also take a look at the improved riflemen rule. I've been messing with that one today and I think I'm going to try it out. Its just as fast as the method I've been using and its supposed to have less errors. I'm still toying with Sierra's method, its supposed to be pin point accurate but you'd have to have pre-made dope cards because the math equation isn't fast. I am really liking the improved rifleman rule method and hope to switch if it works better than what I've been doing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts