Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, i finally am posting one of these up. I will say Im overall happy with the loads i made considering it was my 1st bunch of handloads ever made lol.

i had 5 rounds of each charge with a .5gr increment from 42gr -44gr.

i was on a time crunch and only had a short while before i was late for work :/ but atleast i got to shoot some.

next time i go to test my rounds im going to bring a bench rest or some sand bags, this test was done using the harris bipod, and my shoulder and the wind was making me rock a little.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3gwqBGcY9yQ?hl=en&fs=1

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, heres some pics of the best groups i got that day.

below is a 3 shot group at 100 - 42 gr (rl15), hornady 165gr sst, win brass, win primer, c.o.a.l - 2.742

below is a 4 shot group at 100 - 43gr (rl15), hornady 165gr sst, win brass, win primer, c.o.a.l - 2.742

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice shooting and good report jasonbourne! Gotta love RL-15. When you find the right combo this powder is superb. I use between 42 to 43 grains with great success outta my SPS Tac. :D

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
308isgreat, thanks 42 and 43 run great for me, 42.5 seemed to open up which is strange but
I wasn't Shooting from a rest so it could have been me. Time will tell.

Have you worked a load with rl15 for 175smk? That's my next load to play with

·
Registered
403 Posts
jasonbourne said:
308isgreat, thanks 42 and 43 run great for me, 42.5 seemed to open up which is strange but
I wasn't Shooting from a rest so it could have been me. Time will tell.

Have you worked a load with rl15 for 175smk? That's my next load to play with
Like you I have not as of yet, but I am looking to do so when I start shooting longer distances. I have not ventured past 300yds so 168 SMK's have been all I needed. I just picked up a Mil-Dot Bushnell Elite 3200 scope so now I can better estimate range then using my Nikon with its Nikoplex reticle. Was looking on hooking up with Winxp_Man who lives close to my location and have him give me some pointers on LR shooting. He may not have worked up a load using 175 SMK's but he uses this bullet alot.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Im gonna load some for next week end and see what it does in 45*-65* and then when its summer shoot it in about 70*-90*

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
For shooting humidity does not affect much POI vs POI. At 1000 yards from the last time I punched in some number for LR shooting it was about .5"

The major factor for LR shooting is the barometric pressure, altitude, and then temp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts