Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an SPS .308, 20" factory barrel, Warne one piece mounting rail (picatinny), Night Force Med. rings with a Vortex PST sitting on top. Ive shot long range in the past, but nothing to the extent of what I have in mind for this rifle (1,000+). I have some background in shooting (USMC 0331), that said, I understand the fundamentals and have a general grasp on marksmanship. Some guy at the local shop told me that I wouldn't be able to reach anything past 850 yds, This sounds like complete bullshit considering I have approx 72 MOA in the scope. I'm shooting a 168gr BTHP, DOPE for 1,000 yds is 45 1/2 MOA. Is a 20 MOA base necessary for what I'm expecting, or is the job feasible with my current setup?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well devil, as you know..... When it comes to gear, it's better to have it and not use it then not have it when you need it.... I have a 20 MOA Nightforce base and I don't shoot past 500 yards at the moment... But I got it anyway....

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Well devil, as you know..... When it comes to gear, it's better to have it and not use it then not have it when you need it.... I have a 20 MOA Nightforce base and I don't shoot past 500 yards at the moment... But I got it anyway....
I have both a Zero and a 20 MOA base that I swap back and forth based on the majority of my shooting at the time. Both bases have been bedded and I have data for each base. When I swap I just make the changes necessary on elevation and windage turrets, move the turrets to zero and shoot away. Changing back I just reverse the process.

I like to change because having the scope "centered" allows you to use the best part of it's optics. With a 20 MOA base, shooting at under 500 yards, the elevation is cranked Down to the point where it could limit windage adjustment.

With my setup, and a torque wrench, it's only a matter of a few minutes to change the base and then fire a round or two to verify "zero".

Barrett offers a neat option. A set of rings that have a pin and pivot setup so you can have 15 MOA (more useful for most) and 40 MOA (for the really long ranges). Loosen, move the pin, re-torque, Bobs your Uncle, and you are adjusted the exact amount for the pin position. Pricey though. About $225 for the set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts