Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a classic new in 221 fireball Several years ago. It’s now at Paduka rifle shop in ky. This is an authorized repair shop for Remington. the rep told me to send it there in jan 2020 and not the factory. They tried a new extractor and sent it to the factory. Remington went bankrupt and sent it back saying they weren’t repairing any guns anymore. Man at Paduka repair center said it needed a new bolt. He can put another in but it’s all black. He can do a jeweled bolt for extra money. I had him wait hoping Remington would replace the bolt but still to no avail.
just recently I asked if he could install a sako extractor and said yes. Now he can’t find any hardly anywhere as most are sold out at gun repair parts centers.
Any advice I could surely use. The problem I had was that I had a case stuck to the bolt face. I had to put the brass case in a vice to pull it out. I went from a moly coated bullet to a copper is what caused this. All I can think is too much pressure came from the copper bullet. I tried new factory rounds and you can’t close the bolt down.
please help!

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
First, you should measure your free board and take that into consideration when developing reloads for your rifle. Sako extractors work very well. Have you called Numrich Arms in Kingston New York to see if they have one? If not, you may just need to start calling rifle builders to find one that might have one. Where are you located?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
First question is does the bolt close on a empty chamber. If so then the receiver and lugs are probably OK.

PTG makes a bolt that many have found to be a suitable replacement that usually didn’t require headspace work. PTG also is making non riveted extractors.

Is the extractor still in the bolt? If so remove it and see if a cartridge will fit inside the bolt. If it does then the bolt may not be the issue.

When Remington went down the tubes the first part to disappear was the rivetless extractor. When RemArms reopened the Ilion facility they did not put any apparent effort into parts and do not appear to be interested in supporting legacy Remington Arms firearms. As the are well aware!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, you should measure your free board and take that into consideration when developing reloads for your rifle. Sako extractors work very well. Have you called Numrich Arms in Kingston New York to see if they have one? If not, you may just need to start calling rifle builders to find one that might have one. Where are you located?

Bob
I live in Cleveland, Tn. Near Chattanooga. I've looked at numbrich, brownells, and Pacific tool and die. All are out. When you say free bore do you mean the distance fro. Bullet to the lands. If that's what you mean I have plenty of clearance.thanks for responding.
First question is does the bolt close on a empty chamber. If so then the receiver and lugs are probably OK.

PTG makes a bolt that many have found to be a suitable replacement that usually didn’t require headspace work. PTG also is making non riveted extractors.

Is the extractor still in the bolt? If so remove it and see if a cartridge will fit inside the bolt. If it does then the bolt may not be the issue.

When Remington went down the tubes the first part to disappear was the rivetless extractor. When RemArms reopened the Ilion facility they did not put any apparent effort into parts and do not appear to be interested in supporting legacy Remington Arms firearms. As the are well aware!
Bolt will close with no cartridge in the chamber. When u load it even with new factory rounds it will not shut. The repair shop has it now and they said they tried placing a new extractor in it and it would not work.they informed me it needed a new bolt. They even sent it to Remington and they said they were not doing any repair work since they were in a transition phase. I got caught when things were bad for Remington.

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
Have someone else inspect your bolt.. Doesn't sound right.

g
I have to agree. Unless the brass galled to the bolt face and you left material on the face.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to agree. Unless the brass galled to the bolt face and you left material on the face.
I have had only the Remington authorized repair shop in Paduka Ky. That has looked at it. They tried a new extractor and it would not work. They sent it to the Remington factory for repair but they sent it back due to no workers and the bankruptcy case they were in. Recently I’ve been in contact with Heritage arms in LOma, Co about it. The repair shop in ky. Would put a sako extractor in it but cant get the parts to do so. Heritage has the parts and will change it out for 148.00.
since the last 2 posts on this thread I’m gonna send the bolt to heritage and see if the bolt can be repaired to original spec without the extractor conversion. I guess my only options are either it can be repaired or it will need the sako extractor conversion kit installed.
I know of the 3 rings of steel that the factory rifle has and the possibility of the extractor being blown out the side due to high pressures if the sako is installled or the m16 type extractor being installed. This has been a difficult journey for it’s been gone for nearly 23 months. Thanks to all here that have tried to steer me in the right direction. Hopefully Heritage can fix it to stay normal or if they can’t at least they can make it work with a sake extractor kit in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys I have some news to report. I received my rifle back this week from the authorized Remington repair shop in Padua, Ky. Well guess what I’ve found on my own tinkering with the bolt. I tried to push the ejector rod that’s spring loaded (it pushes out the fired case when you pull the bolt back after firing) and the rod would not move. I got another 700 of mine and checked it and the ejector rod would move easily by applying pressure on it. The light went off in my brain!!!! Wow I thought how could they have missed this. i finally got the ejector rod out and it was bent. ive got a new one ordered and an extractor from pacific tool and gauge. When it gets here I’m betting my rifle will work now.

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
Great find. That makes more sense than a bolt issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a follow up about all the trouble I had getting my Classic fixed. The man at the Remington repair shop sent mean extractor. I installed it and worked like a charm bolt would close with round in the chamber. This only happened after I removed the ejector pin/rod and it would work. Then I had another problem. The rod I straightened was not good enough. It would eject the round but it would lay on top of the magazine. That same day I got a new rod and spring from pacific tool and gauge. I installed it and now the rifle is flawless. I just never gave up even though I was told I had a defective bolt. Long story short if u have a bolt that wont close check and see if the ejector Rod will move. Mine wouldn't so that's why the bolt would not close trying to load a round in the chamber. If u Have a bolt that wont eject the round try replacing the pin. It worked for me. Hope this will help someone out on here. Cant wait to Shoot my Fireballl

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
Live and learn! Glad you figured it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts