Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an Advance Armament M4-2000 suppressor. I took it off my AR and would like to put it on a .223 bolt action rifle. I am thinking of a Remington Model 700, but don’t know which barrel can be machined to fit the suppressor. What about barrel length? I like a 20” barrel, but don’t know if the suppressor would be as effective. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been building a similar project (R700, M24ish .308), but have settled on YHM and their QD Phantom Hider/Brakes and Titanium suppressors. Their QD's support the suppressor at two points (supposedly insuring positive alignment of the baffles with the bore and even preventing the possiblity of cross-theading) and the spring-loaded bearings in the QD portion eliminate over-tightening which can also screw up the threads on the barrel, suppressor, or both.

So far, I haven't seen or heard anything about any particular make/model/ brand of barrel that "couldn't be" threaded/machined for any purpose; that should only be a factor of the skill and equipment possessed by whomever is going to do the work.

Barrel length does affect range and accuracy, but I also haven't come across anything about a sound-suppressor being more or less effective because of barrel length. I have found that going with a standard or common length (like 20", 24", or 26") makes for alot less math for ballistics and accuracy at longer range because you can usually use the ammo manufacturer's info, instead of recalculating everything for a 21" or 23.5" barrel for instance.

Personally, I'm going with a 24" because I get a little boost in FPS over the 20", and after I stick a 5" or 6" suppressor on it, I still won't wind up with three feet of tube sticking out in front of me. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts