Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

.308 bullet jump???

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  gunrunner 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a SPS Tac. and was wondering if anyone has found a sweet spot for bullet "jump" with an A-Max 168gr.....or just let me know what your using for seating depth...THANKS!

#2 ·
gunrunner said:
Hello everyone, I have a SPS Tac. and was wondering if anyone has found a sweet spot for bullet "jump" with an A-Max 168gr.....or just let me know what your using for seating depth...THANKS!
I reload to a COAL of 2.800" when loading a bullet this size and obtain sub MOA groups through my SPS Tactical .308. This is either using A-Max or SMK's.

#3 ·
308isgreat...have you ever tried to seat you bullet closer???...I have noticed an increase in accuracy of about 15% on average moving the bullet closer to the lands. My problem is ...is 15%ish worth losing the ability to use the magazine, just want to hear what everyone elses take on bullet jump is. I can say this with my SPS Tac. sub MOA groups are easy with a quality round. With a reload .25"-.5'' is the norm. I really could (can) not beleive the accuracy of this rifle, with a little trigger adjustment and the right reload using the proper OCW I have shot 3''-4'' groups out to 600y. Beleive me I am not bragging about my ability, but the ability of the rifle. I can understand why you guys have devoted a thread to just this rifle....

#4 ·
I haven't really fooled around and got it closer to the lands because the load I load seems to be ideal in my weapon. I imagine I could and will in time, but for now I am really happy with the accuracy this production rifle shoots.

I have been loading Winchester brass with 43g of RL-15, CCI #200 primer, 168g SMK with a COAL of 2.800" and its producing .350" groups @ 100yds. and and little more then 1/2" @ 200yds. I'm sure with continued load development and more rifle time my groups will continue to improve, but for now this rifle is way more accurate then I am. I'm just trying to catch up!

#5 ·
When I was using RL-15 ..... I was using lapua brass,Hornady HPBT 168s, CCI br2s, and 44grains of powder and 2.815 oal (mag lenght). I swiched back to Varget & A-Maxs because it was alot more consistant in temp. extremes. I am just now considering using my "pet" load with a little less jump. Now I use everything I mentioned above but with Varget. I will definately let you know what my particulars are with my rifle (powder gr., jump, free bore lenght, ect...) so as to give you a starting point for your own. I will post my 600y groups when I am all finished........FYI, I have 2,000 rounds through this rifle, with .028" of throat erosion, which is why I am considering bullet jump at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.