Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .308 sps Tact with the Hogue standard stock. Rem has a 700xcr stock for a short action Magnum on discount.

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.co...=1&categoryid=3586&productid=3461&topcat=1038

My question is, will a Short action (such as .308) fit in a short action mag stock? As I understand it, the only diffrence between the two is a short action mag has a larger bolt face on the bolt, but it runs in the same "short action" as a .308 (reg bolt face). please correct me if I am misunderstanding.

anyone???

now the barrel may be a diffrent story being the sps is Bull Barrel. but for $30 ill take my chances with a dremmel tool.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome to the forum, U. Nice to see another Utahn on here. The SPS has a #3 contour barrel, while the XCR rifles just have the standard contour. I think everything else will work other than having to hog out the barrel channel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ULazy2 said:
I have a .308 sps Tact with the Hogue standard stock. Rem has a 700xcr stock for a short action Magnum on discount.

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.co...=1&categoryid=3586&productid=3461&topcat=1038

My question is, will a Short action (such as .308) fit in a short action mag stock? As I understand it, the only diffrence between the two is a short action mag has a larger bolt face on the bolt, but it runs in the same "short action" as a .308 (reg bolt face). please correct me if I am misunderstanding.

anyone???

now the barrel may be a diffrent story being the sps is Bull Barrel. but for $30 ill take my chances with a dremmel tool.
It is for a standard hunting barell, there is probally not enough material to take from,also there is no bedding block in that stock, it is even flimsier than the stock you have now, you are correct action length is the same, but I wonder why they would point out the stock is for short action mag, not mearly short action? :/

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was thinking why would you replace a stock that is inferior to the one you have. Is money and object? In most cases "Yes", but seriously concider your investment. The SPS stock you have is better in the design it was made for. If you want a longer forearm you will have more crap contacting the barrel.....in fact it will be worse using a bipod or rest. If it were me and looking for a low dough replacement I would stick with what I have until I saved enough for an upper end stock...Just my two cents.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bell & Carlson makes some good stocks for a reasonable price. You can look on ebay for stocks as well. I bought a H-S Precision take off stock there for $200.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so until I have money for a new stock. ( I would love a McM A1-3) Is there any way to stiffen up or strengthen the fore-end of the factory overmolded stock?

Also, I know that the rifle comes pillar bedded, what about glass bedding the action with holes drilled strategically to help anchor the bedding in the stock. ( I understand it has a release agent in the stock itself and glass can have a difficult time sticking.)

And last, anyone make a McM A1-3 style stock cheaper $$ than a $600 McM? I like the high comb of weatherby stocks from B&C but they don't have one like it for the Rem 700 action.

Any advice as this is my first build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts