Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, I just acquired a Model 600. The hard part to believe is that about 7 miles from my home in a combination small super market/hardware store I found 3 boxes of NOS ammo, It was so old the original price sticker was 14.88, they had it priced 150.00 bucks a box, with a note beside it to check the internet, which I had worn out trying to find some brass, or loaded rds. Got it for a little over half of what they were asking. Got a set of Redding 3 die , new . I have had a lot of Swedish Mausers and have some bullets I've had for years, the most I have is Sierra 85 grainers. A tech at Sierra said I didn't have to worry about seating them too far out, they seem to shoot as well jumping to the lands as touching them, I also have a box of Hornady 129g. They shouldn't be too long when seated in the cannelure . Have any of you guys had any experience with either of these two bullets, The other ones I have are 140g and heavier, which will be too long? What am I going to use it for??? Coyotes, crows. most likely nothing over 100 yards, I have a 100 yd range behind the house. I have a 592 Rem and a T/C bull bbl contender in 5mm also, and a 700 varmint spl made in 1968 in 22-250 for serious varmint hunting. But I"ve always wanted a 600, I have a decent collection of Nylons, including a 76. I'm 67 and wear glasses now, I will probably put the scope back on the 600 , it's hard to shoot without one now. Thanks, from a newbie to this forum!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang, that sounds pretty cool. The price of that ammo is ridiculous, but a quick internet search... nobody makes ammo for it. How old are the boxes of ammo/gun?
Dang, that sounds pretty cool. The price of that ammo is ridiculous, but a quick internet search... nobody makes ammo for it. How old are the boxes of ammo/gun?
Well, the rifle was made in Sept of 1966, in pretty good shape, A friend of mine in St.Pete Fl had it, I traded him a Cimarron .357 revolver in box that had been shot 6 times , a box of .357 and a box of .38 for it. He had 1 round of HSC IIRC for it, it was 140g vld bullet, wouldn't fit in mag well, so had to be shot single shot. The ammo, like I said was org priced 14.88, The rural community where the old combo grocery store/hardware store, would open a box and sell you 3 rds or whatever you could afford, the guy threw in a box with 5 rds in it. It is the yellow/green box stuff. I'll get the pleasure of shooting the factory 120g core lockt factory loads, I was surprised by the mild recoil, I had rotator cuff surgery back in Dec. That's why I love the Swede's, with a 160g load, you get the penetration of a 30'06 with half the recoil, I don't mind sharing here, I paid 80 bucks a box for it and he threw in the 5 rds free, plus Tn's 9.75% sales tax. I should have offered 60 a box, A friend that has a perm stall in the local dirt mall (flea mkt) near Bristol speedway, sells reloads, ammo etc.... He told me that 4 yrs ago Brown's super mkt in Hampton Tn had some. I drove straight up there and lo and behold it was still there!!! A friend of mine just sent me a pic of a bear he took from his tree stand about1/2 mile from my house over the hill behind me. Another friend who got killed by hornets while Bear hunting in Maine (didn't have his eppi pen with him) said the 350 rem mag was best bear rd/rifle combo ever made. When I had an FFL I ordered him the then new , IIRC Mod 673 guide rifle in .350.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a 673 in 6.5 RM that I'm gearing up to load for, I'll have to check the OAL length issue - I wonder if it applies to the 673 as well. I think you are ok loading the 140's just may have to seat them deep and watch pressure, there is some published data out there for 140's in 6.5 RM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ach76. That's a question I can't answer, I think the box of Hornady 129g will work ok, and they have a cannelure, Oh, I think that 1 rd that came with the rifle was HSM brand, using Berger bullets. It would not go down in the mag, I believe the 673 is based on the model 7 action, and I'm not very familiar with it..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts