Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got down to Wichita to sight in my rifle at Bullseye. They have a 100 yard indoor range and I figured that it would work out better than my last range session outside. I have shot my rifle 3-4 times now and I don't know what the deal is but I'm having issues. First time out I had a cheap scope that wasn't working for crap. Second trip out I had my SWFA SS scope and things went a little better. Shot well under 1 MOA with stock everything. Then I upgraded the stock to an HS precision with full bedding block. Went out and couldn't even get the rifle on paper! I had an AD without my ears on, got a pretty bad sunburn, and got scope bit all in the same session. Needless to say it was not my day. So I went down to Wichita to Bullseye to try to sort things out. I was shooting Prvi partizan 140gr BTSP's and this was the best I could do. I really wish that I could say the 4 shot group was all at once. 9 shots on this target. It could have been just a bad day but I dunno. I'm starting to think that I should have just left the crappy old stock! Or, maybe it just doesn't like the ammo. I have been having a hard time closing the bolt onto the rounds with cheap federal and the prvi's. One round was so tight that the bolt wouldn't close at all. I wonder if I have some headspace issues. Well here it is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, I can help you with the "shooter" issue, but someone else will have to help you address the head space/ or tight fit issue.

First, take all variables out of the equation. Put the rifle in a vise, or some other vehicle to take as much of "you" out of the equation as possible. Stick with one batch of ammo, or one box (or 2) of factory loads and try it again. Once you take you out of this situation, you'll be better able to tell what is going on here.

I used to use a "sled" when zeroing. That's the bench rest rifle setup you can put bags of shot on to hold the sled still. So it didn't move around during recoil. You shouldn't have too much recoil to begin with - you're shooting .308 right?

·
Registered
277 Posts
BTW, I know this sucks, but I like reading your stories of misery. Makes me feel better. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply BobK4t. That's a good suggestion. I'll have to see if I can find one or someone who has one. I'm shooting 7mm Mag. I don't think that the recoil is too bad but others may disagree. I think I'm just not very good right now. I haven't had a lot of trigger time and am not consistent yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing that I'm going to have to change is my trigger. The X Mark Pro is complete crap. My buddy has a pre X Mark Pro trigger that he has tuned down to two pounds and its SO much nicer than mine. I have the screw all of the way out and it's still a hard pull. That can't be helping my consistency.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, I agree with that trigger coment, but that's not it. At least not yet - I'm using an X-Mark for now and it's good enough.

The key is getting that bad boy solid so you have as few variables as possible.

And I agree with you the 7mm Mag is a pussy cat. My grandmother actually used one for white tail for a few years.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
A few things come to mind.

1. Your using kinda crappy ammo. With crappy ammo it's hard as heck to get a group. I learned this using "sniper specials" which gave me patterns not groups.

Try using 168gr federal gold medal match Ammo

2. The stock has a full length bedding block but you still may need to have it glass bedded. When I got my b&c stock there was soo much free space by recoil lug the stock would shift with every shot.

3. Practice practice practice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BobK4T: That's awesome! Seriously everyone that I told I was getting a 7mm mag told me that my shoulder was going to hate me. Clearly they have never shot the round before.

jasonbourne said:
A few things come to mind.

1. Your using kinda crappy ammo. With crappy ammo it's hard as heck to get a group. I learned this using "sniper specials" which gave me patterns not groups.

Try using 168gr federal gold medal match Ammo

2. The stock has a full length bedding block but you still may need to have it glass bedded. When I got my b&c stock there was soo much free space by recoil lug the stock would shift with every shot.

3. Practice practice practice.
I think you have good points here Jason. I would love to use some FGMM. They do not currently offer full ammo for 7mm mag. I can get the bullets but I would have to reload. This fall I will be getting the equipment so that I can start and I will have a ton of questions for you guys. Until then I'm stuck with whatever I can find at Walmart and Cabellas I'm afraid. Snipercentral advertises HSM 168gr 7mm mag match ammo but it isn't ever in stock. I'd be willing to give them a shot I suppose. If I recall correctly that is the ammo that was used by the Secret Service.
I also plan on bedding the stock, just haven't gotten that accomplished yet. I did however make sure to torque everything down and hoped that would hold it all in place. As for the practice, truer words were never spoken, or typed. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I'm sorry, I must of overlooked the fact that it was 7mm.
That explains using any ammo you can get your hands on.

I found a place that has some Barnes in stock for you, it's pretty damn expensive
But I would get atleast 1 box and see if you get get groups with the better ammo.

If your still having problems then you know it's the rifle/operator.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=119911

***I've never shot this stuff, but I know barnes makes some decent ammo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Kansas_Born said:
BobK4T: That's awesome! Seriously everyone that I told I was getting a 7mm mag told me that my shoulder was going to hate me. Clearly they have never shot the round before.

HAHAHA, yeah it really comes down to technique. I shoot .300WM, .338LM and .50BMG and it is always about technique. When my M24 project was completed a month ago I ran 55 rounds through it the 1st day and 80 rounds through on day 2.

·
Registered
123 Posts
B0BK4T said:
..... My grandmother actually used one for white tail for a few years.

Do NOT make that woman angry....

;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jasonbourne said:
I'm sorry, I must of overlooked the fact that it was 7mm.
That explains using any ammo you can get your hands on.

I found a place that has some Barnes in stock for you, it's pretty damn expensive
But I would get atleast 1 box and see if you get get groups with the better ammo.

If your still having problems then you know it's the rifle/operator.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=119911

***I've never shot this stuff, but I know barnes makes some decent ammo.
Thanks for the link Jason. That is pretty pricey. I would be a third of the way there for my cheap reloading setup if I buy that ammo! I'll look around here and see what I can find.

·
Registered
277 Posts
gdvan01 said:
B0BK4T said:
..... My grandmother actually used one for white tail for a few years.

Do NOT make that woman angry....

;-)
hahaha, yeah, we all grew up with manners! A whole lot of yes ma'am and yes sir goin on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts