Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well before i find out first hand, figured i would ask to see what you guys think. Which is going to be better shooting.

All started about a month ago, when i first seen the new SPS Tactical AAC. With the threaded barrel, and the 1-10 twist. I wish i had it instead of my SPS Tac.

Well Wed. night a buddy called, asked what i had for a 308, then he asked if i would sell it.. Well i gave in and sold it in stock form.

Thursday called my gunshop and they had one in stock, and i went and picked it up this morning. ordered a 20moa base for this one, only had a 15 on my other and i left it go with the gun. So this weekend going to swap everything over.

So what do you guys think of the new SPS AAC? Is it going to shoot better than my SPS tac?

This is my 100yd group, shooting 168 SMKs with 45gr Varget. Am i going to be better off jumping up to a 175 smk now? or will i be ok with the 168s?

Will get some Photos of it all this weekend and show you my set up.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
For the say of it................ The 1-12 is supposed to be better for lighter bullets such as the 168 and the 1-10 better for the 175. But My recent range trip I used some 175 SMK over 44.5gr of Varget and it gave me a .217 for a three shot and a .319 with 4 shots in the group. I even shot a 2.52" groups at 534+ yards with the 175 over 44.7gr of IMR 4064

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I have the Sps aac-sd and I love eat. It loves between 165-175grain. It's essentially the same rifle just different twist and a few cosmetic things. For the price difference I think it's well worth it. The aac still suffers from the hogue stock but even then you can still get moa or better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i wish i coulda got the AAC. but im loving my normal sps tac.
this is with factory Hornady 168's @ 100 yds
sure its not the best but it'll do. less than 40 rds through the rifle so far

the 1:10 should like the heavier booolets better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know the 1:10 should love the 175s... Dont worry the Houge is gone, i never even shot my SPS with the houge, well not my 308 my 223 sps still has the houge... I have a B&C Light Tactical.. and love it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, got out today finally got got the scope zerod. went from a 15moa egw to a 20moa tally... Had to bring it up 6 moa and left 1 moa. shooting the same loads i was using.

shot about a 3/4-1 inch group. which isnt to bad for being 8 shots down the barrel. 3 to get it on and then a 5 shot group.

Hoping for some nice weather tomorrow so i can throw a fwe more rounds down the barrel.

Going to try a few other 168gr rounds i had loaded for the last one to see if it likes a faster/slower 168...

Otherwise going to get some 175s and try them. then off to my 300 and 500yd targets..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here is my baby...

Remington 700 Tactical AAC-SD
Tally MFG 20 MOA Base
B&C Varmint/Tactical Stock- i believe is what it is
Weaver tactical Rings
Bushnell Elite 4200 tactical 6-24x50
Rifle Basix 8oz-24oz trigger set at 16oz.

Now waiting on which muzzle brake im going to order. and it should be set....

·
Registered
11 Posts
My AAC-SD shot a three shot group on my first outing that was two holes touching with Factory Hornady 168gr. AMAX.

It shot a three shot group of 5/8" with Federal Premium 165gr. Sierra Gamekings BTSP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
jasonbourne said:
I have the Sps aac-sd and I love eat. It loves between 165-175grain. It's essentially the same rifle just different twist and a few cosmetic things. For the price difference I think it's well worth it. The aac still suffers from the hogue stock but even then you can still get moa or better.
i love eat to! it are yummie!
on a sidenote its a pity the AAC-SD cant be found here, threaded barrels are illegal :/

·
Registered
639 Posts
1-12" twist can run upto 175gr SMKs and alike. I run them with no issue's that I can see. The 1-10" twist will run stuff upto 220gr. I know of a guy guys running the 208" amax and have good results but with the 1-10", Id stick with 175gr rounds and be done with it. They will do whatever you want and do it well.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The problem is not that that will not shoot really good with a 1-10 but that the barrel is only a 20 inch barrel and velocity will be a issue. So sticking with 175 SMK it will be good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts