Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 700 SPS in 30-06. Broke it in properly. Zero'd at 200 yrds. My problem is that I can not get it to group tightly, as in less than 2 inches. There is no rhyme or reason to the grouping. They are all over the place in and out of a 2 inch diamond (center of target) I shoot a 3 shot string and let that flimsy barrel cool. And still they are everywhere. I put in a Timney trigger (which is awesome) and still all over. I am sand bagged and controlling my breathing and trigger pull 99% of the time. I am surprised by the boom. I am shooting Hornady 180gr SST rounds which I want to use for elk hunting in Oct. A friend of mine is a SWAT sniper and one hell of a shot suggested trying different ammo. I did that today. 2 different 180 gr rounds by Winchester. These rounds were impacting high-right by 6 inches. Then I shot the Hornady 165 gr GNX rounds with terrible accuracy. The barrel is light which is why I wait 3-5 mins between 3 round strings. The stock is that synthetic one which is NOT bedded. Any ideas as to shit accuracy? When I shoot my AR while the 700 cool I am in the 10x most of the time. Don;t think it is my technique but I could be wrong. Anyone else seen an accuracy issue with their 700? I shoot my sniper-buddy's LTR in .308 with much more accuracy. Any insight is appreciated.
thanks
chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
What type of optics/base/rings are you using? Also ive seen 700's slip out of that factory with stocks that was not torqued to spec and cause shity grouping(not often but, it happens). To be it sounds like and optics/mounting problem but, keep in mind factory made hunting ammo is'nt going to group well to start with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leupold VX-III 3.9-10x40mm with Leupold rings/bases. Locked down tight. A friend thinks it is the stock cause it doesn't look like the barrel is sitting evenly in it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
metlgod said:
Leupold VX-III 3.9-10x40mm with Leupold rings/bases. Locked down tight. A friend thinks it is the stock cause it doesn't look like the barrel is sitting evenly in it.
Cant go wrong with that optics set-up, have same sitting in the safe that originally came with my PSS. My dollar says its a stock torque/bedding issue... If it was me I would take the stock off, have a peek inside and reinstall properly and see where I stood then.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
cobretr said:
metlgod said:
Cant go wrong with that optics set-up, have same sitting in the safe that originally came with my PSS. My dollar says its a stock torque/bedding issue... If it was me I would take the stock off, have a peek inside and reinstall properly and see where I stood then.
+1 bedding the rifle will improve the accuracy real good also make sure you have a clean barrel copper free (the best you can clean it). what is the lbs for your trigger pull and make sure you squeeze the trigger the same way every time. But my bet is also on the bedding.

·
Registered
121 Posts
XPman brought up a good point....copper.... If you barrel is 100% copper free it will group poorly. Every 250-300 rounds I stip/clean the inside of the barrel of all the old copper/fouling inside. Afterwards for 10-15 rounds my groups will open up to about 3 minutes @ 100yds. Then after the barrel is refouled they will go right back to 1/2 minute or smaller. Between range trips i run a few dry patchs down the barrel to remove carbon,excess fouling till the next time i strip it. Ive always heard this called "fouling for effect". Ask your sniper buddy about this, he should know exactly what im talkeding about. With out this process 1st time hit probability would be really low in the real world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bedded the barrel tonight. Gonna try to shoot it Thurs morn. Also had to sand the fore-end of the stock as it was riding on the sides of the barrel as well. You could see wear marks. Took out the little nibs at the end of the stock where the barrell was resting. Can pass a dollar bill all the way to the receiver now with no hang ups.
cobretr: I know a clean barrel will not shoot straight till it has become slightly fouled. These guys clean their rifles after EVERY training day. Plus they shoot LTR's which are super sweet to begin with! After 80 rounds my pattern was still willy-nilly. I am also going to try and wait a bit longer between shots and let the barrel cool a bit more. I am leaning towards a too warm barrel and bad bedding. Will post my results once I hit the range.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
if the barrel heats up i usually go with as long as i can still touch the barrel then its fine to shoot. Also try some match rounds through it. But I will put money down that after this bedding job you should see some improvements.

and i forgot to ask how many rounds do you have through the rifle ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Off the top of my head I have approx 300 rounds thru it now.
Also, the trigger is a Timney for 700 and breaks super clean at 3lbs. No slack/take up and 0 over travel. It is nice!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The reason i ask how many rounds is because of the stock remmy barrels the new ones seem to take a little to break in. Im not sure if you looked down the tube you should see that its not polished up at all while running rounds down the tube this also helps cut away any kinda of micro imprerfections. thats why i also asked about copper fouling you dont want to much copper because this (from all the days of reading i have spent on this subject) will keep your barrel from polishing its self up with the rounds your running down the tube. So try a keep it copper free as much as you can. You dont want to run to many rounds over the copper fouling. For me i did notice quite some difference in how the barrel was new and how it is now. Now my barrel looks like my match grade AR 6.8 SPC barrel does. basically if you dont have a hand lapped barrel like the match barrel the rounds you put down the tube do this. Now as time will go by you will notice less and less copper fouling and easier cleaning. I think though mine I have about 500 rounds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I went out with my buddy who is a SWAT sniper and he brought out his partner/spotter who is also a SWAT sniper and they put me thru the paces and gave me the real skinny. My Remington 700 in .30-06 with the thin barrel and standard synthetic stock is a hunting rifle plain and simple. It is not built for precision work like the LTR is. The rifle is not built to those tolerances. Ok I can dig it. Anyone claiming sub-moa on this gun is full of shit. 1-2 MOA is about it's limit and 3MOA is nothing to be ashamed about. I do think bedding the barrel helped tremendously and when I fall into some extra cash I might upgrade the stock completely and call it a day. The biggest and best piece of advice they gave me is to shoot at smaller targets. They force you to focus. They made me shit-can my usual 6" shoot-n-see targets that I have been using and put up a 1" dot inside a 3" circle. Let me tell you this helped like you would not believe. Here are 2 3 shot groups at 200 yrds, prone, +/- 60 degrees F with a 8-12 mph head wind. Not bad for me since on the 6" targets I used to shoot the rounds were all over the 6" circle. For me this is good shooting and a few more times out I think I can make them better.

http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/l497/metl/?action=view&current=IMG_0453.jpg&newest=1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a 3 round string at 300 yrds. +/- 60 degrees F, 8-12 mph cross wind at approx 45 degree angle (the wind shifted a bit on us) Now we were at the rock quarry where the team trains and to get to 300 yrds we were in a giant pile of busted up concrete. So I was half sitting/kneeling/leaning on a chunk of concrete with 1 leg of the bipod almost all way extened and the other all the way up to make the gun level and was using a chunk of concrete and a towel to steady the butt of the rifle on. It was hilarious. I was aiming at the top right target and my rounds impacted 5" right and 5.5-8.5 inches low. Not too bad. My elk is going down either way! All in all I am in a better mood and frame of mind with some good advice to build upon. I will leave this gun alone as a good hunting rifle and look into a more precise 700 for precision work.

Mine are marked 1,2,3 in green. 3rd round just clipped the edge of the box.

http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/l497/metl/?action=view&current=IMG_0456.jpg&newest=1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts