Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the value of a rifle is whatever someone would pay but I would like to know what some of you members think the value is of a NIB (with all paperwork), unfired, 1978 BDL stamped 7mm-06. From my research there were 200 rifles shipped with the 7mm-06 stampings before Remington recalled them and changed to the 7mm Express designation.

Not all went back, there are different guesses as far how many, and the remaining rifles are worth a premium. I can't find one listed anywhere and I thought the collectors on this site might be able to give me some idea of it's worth.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
While the 7mm-06 roll stamp is rare, whether its the 7mm Express or the later 280 Remington, the industry has accepted the 280 Remington designation for a 30-06 necked down to 7 mm. The 280 Remington like its little brother 25-06 offers great ballistics while chamberings have faded over time.

For example, the 7mm-06, 7mm Express, 280 Rem will never see the demand like .257 Roberts has in the Remington 721, Model 700 and Winchester's Model 70. A Remington model 700 Classic in rare stainless in .257 Roberts NIB sold 2 weeks ago for $2500 and that's in the same neighborhood as pre-64 model 70's so is a new trend developing? I have not seen a 7mm-06 or 280 Rem re-sell to give you a base price on previous sales so you might want to start in that direction.

·
Super Moderator
1,352 Posts
A NIB 700 BDL of that Vintage, will do nothing except increase in value, though I would not guess at what it might sell for today.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know the value of a rifle is whatever someone would pay but I would like to know what some of you members think the value is of a NIB (with all paperwork), unfired, 1978 BDL stamped 7mm-06. From my research there were 200 rifles shipped with the 7mm-06 stampings before Remington recalled them and changed to the 7mm Express designation.

Not all went back, there are different guesses as far how many, and the remaining rifles are worth a premium. I can't find one listed anywhere and I thought the collectors on this site might be able to give me some idea of it's worth.

Thanks
Wow I would love to own one of these, I have a few of the other rare ones but not this one. If you ever want to sell it let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts

Thanks
AJ100,

I noticed this, barrel marked 7mm-Express, same @ 7mm-06 & 280, this 700 was mint appeared no box final auction $1950

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885817182

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You, I did see that one. I have spent hours searching everywhere and there isn't one stamped 7mm-06 to be found.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank You, I did see that one. I have spent hours searching everywhere and there isn't one stamped 7mm-06 to be found.
I ran across another 7mm Express sold 2 weeks ago for $1800 +, not box gun but mint, their was 2 others on GB, 1 @ $950 and another @ $1100 (?) no activity, While Remington change the caliber stamping 7mm-06, 7 mm Express then finally 280 Remington appears to be marketing ploy and non catalog item.

A unique model 870 appeared the other day, stamped BDL on barrel and receiver; Remington produced AP, ADL & BDL graded 870 in the 1950's. While those graded models are not well known but does NOT make them rare.

This was rare, the .308 was cataloged in 1955, Winchester only made the model 70 featherweight in the .308. A Standard grade, standard weight showed up in .308, while never seen or heard that model 70 model in 308, it was never cataloged in the pre 64's. The model 70 .308 brought $4k as it might be the only specimen that left New Haven? The man that would know would be Roger Rule and he's no longer with us.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Remington did play with cartridge names. Around 1957 they introduced the .280 Remington to be one better than the .270 Winchester. The 7mm Magnum introduced around 1962 did find a following. But the .280 Remington which was a 7mm bullet in 06 size case did not ever come close to the popularity of the .270 Winchester. It could be because of a gun writer named Jack O'Connor that wrote that the .270 Winchester was the ideal hunting cartridge. Remington advertising people wondered if it was possible to to get more popularity for the .280 Remington with a name change so around 1979 introduced the 7mm 06 and quickly changed to 7mm Express. That change did not help and only added confusion. A friend complained to me that he had assumed that the 7mm Express would fit his 7mm Mauser and bought a couple boxes. Others assumed that the 7mm Express would work in a 7mm Magnum which is probably the reason that the 7mm Express soon went back to .280 Remington.

·
Super Moderator
1,352 Posts
I have a few boxes marked 6mm Remington Bench Rest and some older ammo marked .221 Remington Fireball.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here are a couple OLD Remington 2 piece boxes that both say 7MM Remington and Mauser. Could my friend have had this in mind?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Remington did play with cartridge names. Around 1957 they introduced the .280 Remington to be one better than the .270 Winchester. The 7mm Magnum introduced around 1962 did find a following. But the .280 Remington which was a 7mm bullet in 06 size case did not ever come close to the popularity of the .270 Winchester. It could be because of a gun writer named Jack O'Connor that wrote that the .270 Winchester was the ideal hunting cartridge. Remington advertising people wondered if it was possible to to get more popularity for the .280 Remington with a name change so around 1979 introduced the 7mm 06 and quickly changed to 7mm Express. That change did not help and only added confusion. A friend complained to me that he had assumed that the 7mm Express would fit his 7mm Mauser and bought a couple boxes. Others assumed that the 7mm Express would work in a 7mm Magnum which is probably the reason that the 7mm Express soon went back to .280 Remington.
I remember my early days reading 'ole Jack O'Conner, his influence made me buy my first .270 deer rifle. I shot 2 deer opening morning and that 150 gr bullet just made just a mess traded it in for a .257 Roberts. Wished I still owned the .257, who knew ?

Speaking of stuffing a 7mm Express in a 7mm Mag chamber; a story of the early days of the 7mm-08, LSG sold a guy .308 for 7mm-08, they chambered and the bullet made it out of the barrel. I have noticed bullet makers have added banners on their web sites, this is not ammo due to 8 million new gun owners not knowing the difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here are a couple OLD Remington 2 piece boxes that both say 7MM Remington and Mauser. Could my friend have had this in mind?

I'll take a shot, very late 20's or early 30's ? Remember Remington's model 30 bolt action off the Model 17 Enfield action, didn't know they made it in 7 mm Mauser ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I would expect those prices for rifles stamped 7mm Express. Since there were only 200 shipped out with the
7mm-06 stamping and some of those were sent back I think the rifles still out here do fall into the "rare" classification. It's not the caliber, it's the stamping on the barrel.

The collector that is going to buy this rifle has all the other calibers including the express and the .280 and needs one of the rifles with this rare stamp to fill that empty slot in the safe.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a list of 16 serial number verified 7mm-06s, in both ADL and BDL configurations. 3 others. 1 unverified, one may be a duplicate and one is totally unknown. Know of 2 NIB, verified. 2 BDLs and one ADL are for sale/sold very recently. I have 2 of my own. Both made in December, 1978. Only know of one newer than my newest.

·
Super Moderator
1,352 Posts
It is worth the current price of a .280 BDL for the average person looking for a 700, to get a real lot of money you need to find a collector that thinks that the scarcity of the barrel stamping is worth it to them.

Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.