700Rifle.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 700 LTR in .308 at the end of the month. Does anyone have one? All the things that I have read have been positive. If anyone has any information or experience with one I would like to hear your opinion before I lay down my hard earned money on one. Have been saving for my dream .308 for a long time and I think the LTR fits the bill. I will be using it as a hunting rifle and for killing paper out to 500 and sometimes 600 yards. Thanks for the help.
Would you recomend a Leupold 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 power scope with the TMR reticle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
stex shooter said:
I am looking at purchasing a 700 LTR in .308 at the end of the month. Does anyone have one? All the things that I have read have been positive. If anyone has any information or experience with one I would like to hear your opinion before I lay down my hard earned money on one. Have been saving for my dream .308 for a long time and I think the LTR fits the bill. I will be using it as a hunting rifle and for killing paper out to 500 and sometimes 600 yards. Thanks for the help.
Would you recomend a Leupold 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 power scope with the TMR reticle.
I would prefer the 4.5-14 myself, I think it would be a better compromise for the yardage you
are talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have just purchased a LTR ( love the rifle ) in 308 but have not had a chance to shoot it yet as I am waiting for the scope to arrive.. The scope I have purchased is a Bushnell elite 3200 5-15 x 40, I am new to rifle shooting but I have seen and read good reviews on both items. I dont know what rings or mounts to buy, so if anybody as any good ideas, let me know.
cheers, Val...

·
Registered
190 Posts
valencia192 said:
Hi, I have just purchased a LTR ( love the rifle ) in 308 but have not had a chance to shoot it yet as I am waiting for the scope to arrive.. The scope I have purchased is a Bushnell elite 3200 5-15 x 40, I am new to rifle shooting but I have seen and read good reviews on both items. I dont know what rings or mounts to buy, so if anybody as any good ideas, let me know.
cheers, Val...
egw or weaver tactical for bases, and burris extreme tactical rings, should fix you up nicely
and rather inexspensively,or you could save even more and still, have quality by going with
the weaver tactical rings as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I will be shooting up to 600 yards because my scope is 50 moa, will I have to fit 20 moa mount.. or am I reading to much into it.
Note, the scope came with 25mm weaver rings fitted as I purchased it used..
cheers,
Valencia, Manchester, England. UK.

·
Registered
190 Posts
valencia192 said:
Hi, I will be shooting up to 600 yards because my scope is 50 moa, will I have to fit 20 moa mount.. or am I reading to much into it.
Note, the scope came with 25mm weaver rings fitted as I purchased it used..
cheers,
Valencia, Manchester, England. UK.
600 yards,will probally still be obtainable with 0 bases but you will be close,you might try it first.
It depends on other factors such as ring height.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Valencia,
A lot of people seem to go for those Bushnell elites. Fifty moa sounds like plenty of adjustment for 600 yards. If your rings fit the tube, why not shoot it and see?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mate, grab a 20MOA base no matter what. I havent used a scope that is accurate to what the mfg says about its MOA adjustment and it sure doesnt hurt to have a 20MOA base if you ever want to go further.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I will go for the 20 moa base, I have read on sniper central that the bushnell elite 4200 6-24x50 is rated at 50 moa but when tested was only 44 moa.

cheers, Valencia..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I just joined the forum but have had a LTR for number of years. It's a great hunting rifle. I hunt in Alabama from climbing stands and the 20" barrel works well. It allows you to change positions when the deer come out on the wrong side (Which always seems to happens to me). The shorter barrel allows me to move the rifle around the tree and yet allows you to make the long shots if needed. It is extremly accurate too. I have a 3.5 x 10 with 50mm Leupold scope. Good luck.
rangemman

·
Registered
37 Posts
Valencia, I would totally agree with Quick, go with the 20 MOA base. If Im not mistaken the bushnell elite is a 1" tube scope, it would definitely suck to find out you come up short. I have 2 Leupold Mark 4 that I use for my long range stuff, 30mm tubes, and both of the rifles have canted bases. 20 MOA on the 338 Lapua 700 police, and I cant remember what is on the AIAW, I think its 28 MOA. The bottom line, have fun. My brother has the bushy elite on his 308 and has never been unsatisfied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts