Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys....I am new to long range shooting and new to this site so bare with me on the questions. I have been researching a bit on what rifle / scope to buy and have settled on a 700 versus a Savage. Rifle will be for bench rest shooting at paper or steel. My local range is limited to 600 yds but I hope to find a place I can shoot out to 1000 yds. I have a NightForce 5.5-22 x 56 HS ZS ordered (arrives next week :D ) to install on this rifle.

My first choice for a 700 is a Milspec 5R followed by a 700P in 308. Unsure about barrel length but I am leaning toward a 24" rather than a 20". Any advice here would be appreciated.

Whichever rifle I end up with, I intend to purchase a Bell & Carlson Medalist Varmint/Tactical stock to migrate the 700 to because of the adjustability and pistol grip. I believe both of these rifles should be compatible with the B&C stock but wanted to ask if any one here has mated a 700 Milspec or 700P to this particular stock?

Future mods include replacing the trigger, adding a DBM, Cerakoting, blue-printing and trueing, plus adding a suppressor so I will be asking about these as well.

Thanks fellas!

GTGunner
(USAF Retired)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Fasteach (5r 24") and I (aac-sd 20") went to the range a while back with his chrono and tested some loads

Fgmm 175 (factory)

20". 24"

2599. 2645
2614. 2629
2594. 2656
2604. 2666
2583. 2635

The 20" rifle had a muzzle break on it.
On another day we went shooting and when the break was removed the poi raised 2 moa at 600 yards.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It won't make a bit of difference on what barrel length you get. When you get ready to order your stock, just make sure you order a short action stock.

If it was me, I'd go to the next gun show and pick up the cheapest short action 700 I could find. Have the barrel i want fitted and the action trued and put on the stock I want.

Having the action trued without a new barrel is kind of a waste of time and money. I say this because part of truing the action is to recut the action threads square with the center line. Once you recut those threads, the old barrel no longer fits. I would also glass bed that stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GT Gunner ,

I don't know the status of your 5r, byt the very first thing I would do is replace the trigger. Espicially if your going to Bench rest shoot it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both my PSS and Milspec used to be 24" and have since been cut to 20". I actually found that even though the Velocity decreased, the accuracy has improved. They have also been fitted with Surefire compensators and Surefire Supressor so those have influence as well. FWIW, I use my 20" guns to 600yds with sub MOA results with the suppressor.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
DS1441 said:
Both my PSS and Milspec used to be 24" and have since been cut to 20". I actually found that even though the Velocity decreased, the accuracy has improved. They have also been fitted with Surefire compensators and Surefire Supressor so those have influence as well. FWIW, I use my 20" guns to 600yds with sub MOA results with the suppressor.

When you start with the 5R Milspec, a lot of the "Custom" work has already been done. When I bought mine a quick inspection showed that the bolt face had been trued at the factory. Shot like a dream from day one.

The only two things I would do is get rid of the original stock, (I replaced mine with the B&C 2094) and the trigger assy. The trigger itself isn't that bad until you adjust it down to the min of 1.5 lbs. Then the adjusting screw protrudes at the top of the trigger itself and will "rake" your finger something fierce under recoil. A cure is to buy the Bolt Stop Spring/Trigger Spring kit available at Brownell's. A stiffer spring to return the bolt stop after removing the bolt and a softer spring to install under the adjusting screw in order to keep the adjusting screw from protruding. I just replaced my trigger assy with a Timney as I like the wider trigger with the grooves in the face.

You'll pay a little more for the "milspec" but in the end you won't have as much custom work to do. The original barrel will hold accuracy for a long, long time. I have over 4k through mine and still register .2 MOA hits at 300 yards.

Loading for this rifle is fairly easy as it has some fairly wide "sweet spots". Shoots most bullet weights well although 175gr bullets absolutely "sing" with nice small ragged holes at 100 yards. Even on the nastiest day at the range, with winds over 20 mph, groups of 1.5" at 300 yards are the norm. Considering that the "X" ring on a 300 yard F-Class target is 1.42" and the "10" ring is 1.85", some good scores are certainly possible with this rifle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Deadshot2,
No arguments here.
The Milspec is a fine rifle from the factory. I havent even found a reason to replace the stock or the trigger. Some would even argue that the best triggers out there are the stock Remington triggers. Of course, I dont adjust mine down that far. I think I run mine around 3 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts