Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello shooters, I just wanted to direct you all to a post that was started in the Hunting section. I caught a report on CNBC about the Remington 700 and a safety issue that the rifle has had since it was first put into production. Some of the events were the rifle discharging when safety is switched off, or Rifle is attempted fire but does not until the bolt is moved. ( I have had this happen) After telling my friends and co-workers about this report more than a dozen have described having had similar incidents. The reason for this is that there is no trigger or firing pin block

I love my 700 but now I'm ever mindful of these issue. I will also be having a Timmey trigger installed.

So just be extra safe as to where the muzzle is pointed when flipping the safety or if the rifle misfires.

Gag's

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
never had an issue in the last past 6-7 years that I have been using my Remmy 700. I trust that my rifles are just fine. As for pointing the rifles in a safe direction its something that I have learned from when I was about 11 and now I'm 26 and never had an issue with weapons. Like the instructor tells anyone in class for HS never point a weapon at anyone you dont intend to kill and always assume a weapon is always loaded no matter what.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My intention was not to give a safety lecture.

I've had my 700 for 22yrs and had one incident at the shooting bench. I squeezed the trigger and nothing I checked the safety it was off squeezed again nothing when I went to open the bolt the firing pin dropped and the round was down range.

I just wanted to give some fellow shooters a heads up.

Gag's

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I understand what you are saying. But I was mainly trying to say this in regards to the News that was televised. I say that if you keep your rifle clean and maintained you should be good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winxp_man your instincts and your training are correct. When I first caught this on TV I was sitting with my wife & the first thing that came out of my mouth was Bull$##t, it's just people who got careless/reckless and shot someone.

As the report went on more reports were exposed from people I trust The designer of the 700 back in the late 40's reported a problem with the trigger, Also the Marine Scout/Sniper Schools in Quantico & Pendleton have had issues. The M40 was devleoped by the USMC using a 700 reciever and trigger. One Swat instructor said it happend enough with some of the rifles it's now called a "Remington Moment"

I just want to say one thing I not trying to bad mouth the 700 it a great rifle but as with anything sometimes there are quirks.

Gag's

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well said :) I agree that nothing is perfect but something is done right by Remington or they would not be in business for this long. I was reading on another sight and they were saying how the new triggers the mark x fixed issues that might of existed. Also what was said by others was that people when they were doing the trigger pull adjustment that they would unscrew the set screw to far out and this is what would bring in some issues also for the trigger mech. What I do is throw some nail polish on it and it's good to go. But I understand what you are saying, and I agree that nothing is perfect in this world that is made by man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for understanding where I was coming from, In fact I had my 700 out today tuning up for the upcoming Deer season. 30 day and counting.:D

Gag's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts