Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Need a little help determining the model of a Remington 700, 7mm rem mag rifle? Serial # B6239593, "PB" stamped. Barrel length is 24". I think it is a 700 custom circa 1981? The research I've done points to this model with the exception of the 24" barrel? Remington offered this rifle in allot of calibers, but in the 7mm mag it was produced with a 26" barrel?
The walnut stock is highly figured, so I don't think it was a bdl, or cdl? Any thoughts or suggestions of how to verify the model as made by serial #?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
497 Posts
RemArms may be able to Identify it. Seriously I doubt. They seem to be disclaiming or disowning anything from Remington Outdoors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sending the information! Looking at the catalog, Remington made the 700 in a custom, cdl, bdl, and adl in 1981. The 7mm mag was offered in 24" and 26". The major points of difference I can see besides the grades of wood is the checkering? All the rifles had skip-checkering except the custom which didn't have the skip? Here is a link featuring the Custom model (not the CDL):
You might have to copy and paste the link!

·
Super Moderator
497 Posts
Don't believe the CDL was introduced until 2005.

Reactions: Kosmo61

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RemArms may be able to Identify it. Seriously I doubt. They seem to be disclaiming or disowning anything from Remington Outdoors.
You are correct! Just about every post war firearm is identifiable via a serial number! Except Remingtons! Oh well! I think I have it narrowed down to a 81 bdl, or 81 custom. If it is the latter (custom), I might have a fairly rare rifle. The reason I bought it was due to the stock! It has high figure unlike any I've ever seen on a Remington! I used to be a gun buyer for a chain of (4) stores from 1973-1982 and I bought and sold 1000's of 700's and never came across one with this kind of figure! I'm going to take it to a collector next week and see if they can help! Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
497 Posts
Can you share a picture?

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Sure looks like a BDL or CDL to me. MY BDLs have black Forend Caps and my CDL has a reddish one.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Could very well have come from the Custom Shop though my Custom Shop rifles are all marked as such. In any case, I think someone here will recognize it.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could very well have come from the Custom Shop though my Custom Shop rifles are all marked as such. In any case, I think someone here will recognize it.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for your help! If only Remington would share info! I would think that a serial number would have an identifier as to what model it is! Where would your mark be on a rifle like this?
Thanks,
Paul

·
Super Moderator
497 Posts
Can't prove it, but I would say it is not BDL, so it’s likely a “C”. I have seen some info that tends to indicate the "C" came with the stock bedded. I also think that the Assembly code on the barrel may give some indication as to what model it may be but I do not have any definitive info on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't prove it, but I would say it is not BDL, so it’s likely a “C”. I have seen some info that tends to indicate the "C" came with the stock bedded. I also think that the Assembly code on the barrel may give some indication as to what model it may be but I do not have any definitive info on that.
Thanks! I hope its a "C" ! Taking it in to a collector gun shop next week and hope someone can make a determination on the model? I just don't think it's a "BDL", but I'm not an expert! I might have them look and see if it's bedded? I can't tell by looking at it from the topside? I sure wish remington would release more info!
Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! I appreciate your input! I think and hope you are correct! Question: If it is a 1981 it is a bdl or "c" grade? I've never seen a bdl with a stock like this one! Looks more like a Weatherby than a remington! Taking it to a collector next week and hopefully they can help!
Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just put some money down on a 700 left handed model BDL in 308. I was just trying to find the date of manufacture.
I think it's also a 1981 model. Ser.#B68513xx. The barrel code in stamped a little lightly, marked AB or AR.
I'm pretty sure it's a AB since the Ser# is in the B range. I was thrilled to see a 308 in lefty!
I'll pick it up at the end of the month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts