Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum but have been reloading over the many years. Mostly .223 and .243. Looking for your 700 or Sportsman 78 load recipes for 30-06 with 150 gr. spitzer bullet. What primer are you using? If you can be specific with Sierra #2130 150 gr. Spitzer, great. If not, I'll look forward to any loads you work up. I'll take this info and make some test loads comparing to handbooks. Much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
I can’t help with the load but for 150gr bullets its hard to beat IMR 4895, or one of it equivalent from Hodgdon or Accurate. You should be able to use CCI or Federal primers. I wouldn’t shy away from Win or Rem either. I’m basing this on what I see at the range and mostly in M1 Garands.

You can download Sierra’s reloading App which will give you there new reloading data.

Reactions: Crassax

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from New York.

I would first determine what twist your barrel has and then pick an appropriate projectile and then look for loading data.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless someone can tell me otherwise, a Rem. 700 or Rem. Sportsman 78 (the no-frills version of the 700) in 30-06, will have a 1in10" twist. So, with that in mind, I was asking for other's recipes to see what was working for them. I did work up some test loads using IMR4064 and shot them through my Sportsman 78 which I haven't shot for over 9 years. Long story! Hope to upload the results via photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless someone can tell me otherwise, a Rem. 700 or Rem. Sportsman 78 (the no-frills version of the 700) in 30-06, will have a 1in10" twist. So, with that in mind, I was asking for other's recipes to see what was working for them. I did work up some test loads using IMR4064 and shot them through my Sportsman 78 which I haven't shot for over 9 years. Long story! Hope to upload the results via photos.
Hopefully, my photos will load. The loads were in mixed brass, win. primers, IMR4064, shot through my 1984 Remington Sportsman 78 in 30-06. A rifle I haven't shot in over 9 years. I don't think I did too badly. 100 yards.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
I shoot 1,000 yard benchrest and for that everything has to be very precise. No mixing of brass, etc. If you go to the Berger site and you can find what projectiles that they suggest are appropriate for the twist you have. I would still test and confirm it. Easy enough with a cleaning rod with a swivel handle and a tight patch. 1:10 is not too fast, but most faster twist barrels tend to stabilize heavier projectiles better and over spin lighter ones.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Difficult to respond. This reminds me of my ex-wife asking when a dress she was trying on made her look fat. Being asked to comment on someone's target results that you don't know, is fraught with potential difficulties. There is so much to reloading AND shooting AND equipment choices ... where to start. Regardless of the shooting being done, your target tells you how well you're doing EVERYTHING after you pulled the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Every Remington 700 that I have owned has been cable of one inch or better groups at 100 yards with handloads. Some right out of the box. Bedding the action, floating the barrel and a better trigger really helps. Then as pointed out, the shooter, the bench set up and the weather will all have an effect on the final group.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
For any 150gr bullet, including the Sierra, H4350 is my first choice, followed by IMR4451, H4895--those three powders are temp stable. I use WW, Hornady, or Sig brass. I usually start with Fed 210 primers, if the load is accurate will try other primers to see if that improves groups (occasionally it does). Like most 30-06's manufactured post war, A Remington M78 will have a 1-10 twist.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Remember that the best load for someone else's rifle, even the same make, model and twist rate, my be way different from yours. That is why we work up loads/

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Federal primer, Winchester case 52 grains of IMR 4064, 165gr Sierra BTSP = MOA or better in my ADL

This load exceeds bullet and powder suppliers published maximums-Moderator
I beg to differ. According to the latest reloading data available on the Hogdon website, the max load for that bullet and powder is 52.5 grains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts