Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't claim to be a 700 expert by any extend so I have a few questions (and it all stems from a local gun show and the self-proclaimed experts I ran across).

Here's my gun. The barrel is not blued. The stock is dull, not high gloss.

Here is a close up of the barrel with the Remington 700 engraving.

Here is a shot of the drop out floor plate.

Here's more of the barrel engraving.

and

All I wanted to do was get an appraisal and boy howdy did they do their best to get me worked up. One guy said he'd give me $250 for the rifle cash in hand. But, he had one on the table where the barrel was nicely blued (same stock, .270 and crappy scope) for $850.

One guy gladly offered me $550 for it but told me he didn't think it was a BDL since the barrel appears to be shorter than what he's accustomed to. Then he asked if it was the European model (no idea).

The best was where a guy asked me what model it was. I told him it was a Remington 700, then he proceeded to tell me the stock was wrong for the era (which he didn't tell me the era) and he "knew his way around a 700". Okay. He did seem the have more confidence with me than others.

Bottom line, I'm not doubting anybody that I encountered. I would just like more sound advice or insight from the board members here.

It was a very frustrating day to say the least. I should have just kept it at home and not been curious. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. If this is not the correct place to ask, please direct me to where I should go.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
post a picture of the barrel where the lug nut and barrel meet there is some engraving there. That will tell you how old it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I got the age right. from the B0, it would indicate that it was made in January 1994.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm no expert but it looks like a standard 700 that has had the stock refinished with the high gloss removed. Not that uncomon. It is an BDL model with that floor plate. I didn't look up the date code but what you said sounds about right. Lots of different barrel lengths over the years.

Around here it would go for around $450 - $650 without the scope.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is it possible for you to tell us the serial number? I do agree that it looks like a BDL that has had the high gloss varnish removed from the stock, personally I think it is a great looking rifle especially because it's not high gloss. It does seem strange to see the color of the metal like it is. You can always contact Remington and with the serial number they can tell you exactly what the rifle left the factory as. Nice Rifle!

·
Registered
93 Posts
One more note to add, this rifle was definitely made prior to 1982. If you'll notice in the picture of the left side receiver, to the right of where it says Remington 700 you can just see a screw there. there are actually two screws there for installation of a peep sight. Remington stopped drilling and tapping these holes in 1982 so for sure, the receiver is pre 1982.

·
Registered
277 Posts
FrankD said:
I think I got the age right. from the B0, it would indicate that it was made in January 1994.

Actually, it's a 1977 model. The key was in "a300fe1's" post, the left side of the receiver - holes drilled/tapped. That put the date prior to 1982. Then there are 2 possibilities for year in your particular stamped barrel, either 1994 (not likely) and 1977.

The stock was probably damaged - big fall back of wooden stocks is that wood is affected by temperature/humidity. So it was replaced, either damaged by accident/negligence or by the weather. That stock you have was probably bought brand new and put on to replace the damaged one.

Looks REALLY good though. If it were me, I'd ditch that scope and find one that is period specific. Sell that scope on EBay or something and use the proceeds to buy a period specific scope.

Just my .02cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts