Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I think I should give you a little history on the rifle I'll be talking about today. It's a 700 SPS in .308, 24" bl., leupold base and rings with a leupold VXI 3-9X40. I purchased the gun about 7 months ago because I was in the market for a .308 that I could use for range practice and as a backup hunting rifle. I found the gun at gander mountain for $525 and figured that it was a good price and walked out with it that day along with the scope, rings, and base. Now, I know every rifle shoots different and every rifle will have particular loads that it will like. I experimented for months with the gun shooting every type of factory ammo I could get my hands on. No matter what I shot I would end up with between 1 1/4"-1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Some people wouldn't complain about this (especially for a hunting rifle) but I knew the model 700 was capable of so much more. After research online I figured that the rather cheap plastic stock that comes on the basic SPS was to blame and quickly began doing research on aftermarket stocks. After considering price, reliability, and accuracy I decided on a Hogue overmolded stock with full bedding block. I found one on MidwayUSA's website for $209. Once it arrived I installed it in about 15 mins with no problems (I was quite happy about that). After I was done I realized that my next chance to go to the range wouldn't be until the weekend after the 4th of July. Excited but upset that I couldn't go shoot it I waited until today. I picked up some Federal Premium match ammo w/168gr. SMKG's and went to work. Taking my time I sighted in the rifle and began shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The first group could be covered with a quarter! Excited about this I let the gun cool down and started over. The next group I covered with a dime! The gun repeatedly shot groups of this size all day without cleaning! Needless to say I'm extremely happy with the gun and the new stock. For me, the Hogue stock fits better and is more comfortable to shoot. It is obviously of better quality than that plastic one that came with the gun. Just wanted to share my experience with some 700 fans! Pictures can be seen at the following link:

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac298/700sage/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I can say that they have impressed me. I would suggest them to anyone but I would also tell them to go find a place that carries them to go try them out. Some people just don't like the feel of the rubber overmold. I personally find the rubber to be practical for a hunting rifle as it won't slip in wet weather like plastic would.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I have an update for those of you with a Hogue stock. I was doing some load refinement when I noticed that the bolt handle was touching the rubber stock when the bolt was closed. I did some research and found that this is a common thing with Hogue stocks and M700's. I removed some material from the stock to prevent the bolt from touching it. Went to the range and shot my hunting load of 46g Varget over 165g Nosler BT at the 300 yard range. The results were fantastic! 1 1/8" 5 shot group at 300 yards! For those of you with a Hogue stock it's worth checking and fixing this issue. For me, accuracy improved dramatically at longer ranges!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts