Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

This weekend I purchased my first 700, and I have many mixed thoughts on this rifle.

First I must say I grew up shooting, service rifle, hunting, etc, and I have always been around quality rifles, mainly shooting commercial Mausers, Sako's, Winchester 70's, Anschutz's, Ar-15's etc...But never owned or shot a 700.

My 700 was a like new 700 with a custom 6.5x55 medium weight barrel and a fantastic Leupold A-O scope. I can say it shoots like a dream, outstanding accuracy and feed/function.

However, the quality of the rifle somewhat horrifies me....

I give high marks to the bolt body and receiver itself-but the bolt handle is uncomfortable and the cheapest looking around.
Next, the trigger guard assy. is cast pot metal, and to be frank I've seen better metalwork on Chinese Airsoft guns.
The trigger breaks very clean, but is a rattletrap if I ever saw one, and the safety is stiff and flimsy.

The stock is some kind of hardwood that looks like walnut and the checkering, well..i am not sure if i can call it that, it looks like it was burned in, rather than pressed or machine cut.

Overall it shoots fantastic, and I admit it feels good to shoot-But the quality overal is horrible....I am really disdained that Remington can actually sell such crude guns....

Just thought to share my experience.
-CS

·
Registered
403 Posts
slingworks said:
Hello all.

This weekend I purchased my first 700, and I have many mixed thoughts on this rifle.

First I must say I grew up shooting, service rifle, hunting, etc, and I have always been around quality rifles, mainly shooting commercial Mausers, Sako's, Winchester 70's, Anschutz's, Ar-15's etc...But never owned or shot a 700.

My 700 was a like new 700 with a custom 6.5x55 medium weight barrel and a fantastic Leupold A-O scope. I can say it shoots like a dream, outstanding accuracy and feed/function.

However, the quality of the rifle somewhat horrifies me....

I give high marks to the bolt body and receiver itself-but the bolt handle is uncomfortable and the cheapest looking around.
Next, the trigger guard assy. is cast pot metal, and to be frank I've seen better metalwork on Chinese Airsoft guns.
The trigger breaks very clean, but is a rattletrap if I ever saw one, and the safety is stiff and flimsy.

The stock is some kind of hardwood that looks like walnut and the checkering, well..i am not sure if i can call it that, it looks like it was burned in, rather than pressed or machine cut.

Overall it shoots fantastic, and I admit it feels good to shoot-But the quality overal is horrible....I am really disdained that Remington can actually sell such crude guns....

Just thought to share my experience.
-CS
First off welcome to the board. After reading your review I am taken aback by this report on the quality of the Remington 700 rifle you possess. Is it possible to better describe what kind of 700 it is and what caliber as well? I own an SPS Tactical in .308 and I have been nothing short of satisfied with my rifle performance, but I have to admit that the Hogue overmold stock had to go and in place came an HS Precision stock. Everything else was good to go. I really haven't heard of a complaint about a 700 series rifle quite like this...are you sure you didn't pick up a Chinese airsoft rifle? ;)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Do you have some photos you could post here? I've been happy with the build quality of my 700 so far. How tight are your groups with it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own several Reminton 700's.All of these rifles I own are actually better quality than some other mass produced rifles in the USA.Relizing that the rifles are not custom is actually a plus showing that there is a good quality rifle that is affordable.

·
Registered
403 Posts
reloader said:
I own several Reminton 700's.All of these rifles I own are actually better quality than some other mass produced rifles in the USA.Relizing that the rifles are not custom is actually a plus showing that there is a good quality rifle that is affordable.
Well said....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think the op is trying to say that the ruggedness of the way the remy bolts are make make him secptical about the remy 700 rifle. The remy I would say is not built like the browning but what crams me up is the accuracy of this rifle. Reliability is really up there on this rifle because of how simple it's made. take the AK vs the m16 when they first came out the ak was way more reliable. You could of ran under water in sand in mud and still it worked. Remy has proved to be reliable and accurate. To the op there is nothing to worry about your in good hands with the Remy 700 and that 6.5x55 should be really accurate ! Also the stock there are many companies out there that sell stocks that will give you a nice fit and feel. I look at different rifles every time I'm in a outdoor store and to me the entery level stocks on any rifle seem the same that's why most people switch them out first thing if they can get a upgrade stock. But in the end I say this keep shooting and enjoy the rifle cause you have nothing to worry about. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the posts men.

I think I may have been too harsh in the way I worded my review.

I don't know the MFG date of my rifle, but is a CDL? judging by the look.
Gblock serial number on the reciever. Other than the custom barrel it was and is, as new.

I still hold many of my viewpoints...The handle is crudely cast, with a sharp feel...and the triggerguard is a real shame, considering what it could have been. (Ditto on the stock checkering). The trigger breaks cleanly and crisply, but all the stampings, including the trigger shoe ruins it for me.

I've recently discovered some upgrades available:
Steel triggerguards, milled followers, weld on bolt handles, match grade bolt shroud/cocking pieces.

I do like the machined reciever of the 700, and the bolt itself (excl. handle) is very well made and they are a great match.

I was asked about the accuracy, it is outstanding with the custom medium weight 6.5x55 barrel, grouping .5moa consistantly.

I am very excited about the feel and function of the overall package, and with some of the above upgrades to lessen the cheap feel I think i will have a winning combination!

I'll try to post some pics also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree about the cast aluminum bottom metal of the new 700s. It looks and feels cheap. Williams makes a nice all steel bottom metal that is a drop in. I also don't care for the new X-Mark trigger either. I replaced the trigger on my 5R with an older 40X trigger I had laying around in my parts drawer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can agree with your assessment to some degree. I own a Winchester Model 70 that is of better overall quality than my Remington 700. In a few areas much better. The other side of that is my Model 70 cost more in 1984 when I bought it than my 700 did in 2009.
As has been mentioned all ready everything you have spoken to with the exception of the bolt handle and the metal work are readily available and easily replaced.
I can recommend H-S Precision stocks and Timney triggers from personal experience. After Christmas I hope to be able to recommend Wyatt's detachable mag. bottom metal :D .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the posts men.

I think I may have been too harsh in the way I worded my review.

I don't know the MFG date of my rifle, but is a CDL? judging by the look.
Gblock serial number on the reciever. Other than the custom barrel it was and is, as new.

I still hold many of my viewpoints...The handle is crudely cast, with a sharp feel...and the triggerguard is a real shame, considering what it could have been. (Ditto on the stock checkering). The trigger breaks cleanly and crisply, but all the stampings, including the trigger shoe ruins it for me.

I've recently discovered some upgrades available:
Steel triggerguards, milled followers, weld on bolt handles, match grade bolt shroud/cocking pieces.

I do like the machined reciever of the 700, and the bolt itself (excl. handle) is very well made and they are a great match.

I was asked about the accuracy, it is outstanding with the custom medium weight 6.5x55 barrel, grouping .5moa consistantly.

I am very excited about the feel and function of the overall package, and with some of the above upgrades to lessen the cheap feel I think i will have a winning combination!

I'll try to post some pics also.
You're lucky you got pot metal, my new 700 has plastic, but I have no other complaints(other than the X-mark Po' trigger)about the gun. The bolt is smooth like a Remy should be. While I was ordering my VLS I looked at a 700 Long range in 7mag. I was horrified, the bolt was gritty and rough and the stock felt like cheap junk. Maybe the bolt just had some crud in it, I don't know, but I worried about it until my gun arrived and was not that way.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
You're lucky you got pot metal, my new 700 has plastic, but I have no other complaints(other than the X-mark Po' trigger)about the gun. The bolt is smooth like a Remy should be. While I was ordering my VLS I looked at a 700 Long range in 7mag. I was horrified, the bolt was gritty and rough and the stock felt like cheap junk. Maybe the bolt just had some crud in it, I don't know, but I worried about it until my gun arrived and was not that way.

Cost controls are bring out more plastic/polymer parts, especially where structural strength is not as critical. Easy solution, find someone that has installed a DBM conversion and buy his old bottom METAL. :) :)

As far as gritty bolts, I've found that the Remington Black Oxide finish that they use on any of their non-blued, non-stainless, actions contributes to that feel. It's easily fixed with some 2,000 grit sandpaper. Instead of water for the "wet" just use some 3-N-1 Oil or a light gun oil and smooth it out. Wrap some of the paper around a popsicle stick and smooth the bearing surfaces of the bolt lugs. Consider the extra work the price we have to pay today for an off the shelf, reasonably priced, rifle. Want custom? You pay a lot more but then you get smooth working and properly fitting parts. :) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My newest 700, a .243 BDL, purchased 3 months ago has no plastic except for the butt plate and the forend tip. Is it the same as my older brass pin, no, but it does compare favorably to other rifles in the same price range, JMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts