700Rifle.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just experimenting with 168 grain HPBT Match Privi Partizan Ammo. Im using this basically as its readily available here in England, and its about the cheapest brass cased factory ammo. Once used, and I have a supply of cases, I will begin reloading and working up an ideal round for the rifle.

Heres the rifle used.

Though since this pic, I have fitted a mag extender

The rifle was fired from the prone position using the bipod only.
Happy with groupings a 100 yards. They averaged out around 1 MOA. Best of the bunch was this group at .36 MOA.
Im really loving this gun. Its only let down accuracy wise by my shaky hands and blurred vision ;)

The ammo was very consistent and considering its bargain basement, I was very impressed with it.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A group like this with "bargain basement" ammo is better than "Good". It's "pretty darn good".

Nice rifle and nice shooting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes very good i get groups like that with my VTR i use partizan 145 gr tho. And people say VTR's aint accurate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes very good i get groups like that with my VTR i use partizan 145 gr tho. And people say VTR's aint accurate.
I tried the 145 grain and that was good too. Best group was .75 MOA . Ive read the VTR is pretty ammo specific, but so far all Ive tried has been good.
I must admit I was a little concerned when I was looking at the VTR because Id read all the posts about accuracy issues. But it seems most if not all the people who actually own one are more than happy with the performance.
And they look cooler than a Polar bears Jock strap ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only thing i didn't like about the VTR was that nasty xmp trigger. also try and look out for partizan BT match ammo in 168gr its just slightly more than the standard stuff think its about £15 a box might be worth a try.
AL

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
LAXammo has win stuff for 20 bucks a box of Winchester 168gr Match ammo. Nasty accurate for me and works well up to 800 yards I can vouch on that.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
And people say VTR's aint accurate.
Only serious complaints I've heard from a gunsmith/dealer was that they could get real inaccurate after long strings. Heat and that triangular barrel didn't seem to get along. For shorter strings then heat wouldn't be an issue.

Ive read the VTR is pretty ammo specific, but so far all Ive tried has been good.

I must admit I was a little concerned when I was looking at the VTR because Id read all the posts about accuracy issues. But it seems most if not all the people who actually own one are more than happy with the performance.
And they look cooler than a Polar bears Jock strap ;)
Maybe it's that "cool look" that helps it overcome most of the barrel heat issues other's have complained of. For what it's worth I thought that Polar Bears wore "Willy Warmers"

The only thing i didn't like about the VTR was that nasty xmp trigger.

Nobody likes that trigger. If Remington's not careful that POS trigger is going to cost them a lot of business. They could have saved a fortune on this recall if they just sent out free coupons for a Timney 510 for every XMP they receive at the factory in the mail. Surely they could get a "volume break" from Timney and the cost would be less than the "bench time" they are currently faced with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be suspect on the reload ability of ppu brass. I through out my ppu 10mm brass. It was too brittle to reload without annealing.
No experience on your particular situation. I just think that Privi Partizan just cares about the 1st bang & being low cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I must admit the the barrel dose heat up pretty quick and i don't think it cools down as fast as Remington make out. I got the VTR on a good deal and now that i have my 700 police special i don't tend to use it that much i intend to at some point pull the barrel off the VTR and replace it with a Border or a Shilen barrel and make it into a cool custom target rifle ;-).
AL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts