Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a $100 difference in price, which one will you get and why?

Please confirm for me that 700P (26") has a 1 in 12" barrel twist rate. Is that true?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears that the 700P has all the good stuffs on the bedding and stock.
The only thing it lacked is a faster twist rate on the barrel.
Based on what I am reading, it even has the 40X trigger.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i've had 2 700's. an ADL and a 700P. out of the box, for the price, the 700P is an awesome gun. i once shot a dime group at 119 yards with it using a $13 box of federal 150 grain hunting bullets. not sure which trigger i have though. i got the gun back in 2008, i think it's the xmark :( .....i'm replacing it with a timney next paycheck

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can't go wrong with either. The 700P has a 1-12" twist and the 5R has a 1-11.25" twist. Both have HS stocks bolted to an aluminum bedding block. If you found a 700P with the 40X trigger get the 700P. The new Rem triggers leave much to be desired. If your going to drop in an aftermarket trigger get a Jewell HVR, best in the industry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For the price, the Timney is the best deal going plus you can easily install yourself. I have mine set for 2lb pull and couldn't be happier. It also made quite a difference in my grouping vs the stock 8-9lb pull.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got the 700 P and love mine is .308 at 900 yards I had a 3 shot group about 5 inch with mine have not done one thing to it except b.o. Bolt knob and camo paint. 5r has 1-11.25 twist which is a little advantage.mine also has the older 40x trigger man they adjust so good. But I think you'll be as happy with 700 p I would trade mine to anything that's how much I like mine

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the many juicy tips, guys!

In terms of holding its values, do you think the 700P or the 5R will hold more of its value in the resale market?

Incidentally, I read that there were several 700P and 5R that went thru GunBroker without a single bid. Is unloading a 700P or 5R that difficult these days? What are your experiences when you sold your rifles?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you can get the 5R can't go wrong with one at all and resale value is a bit more for one just incase you decide to sell it later on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts