Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I'm not the first of the last to ask this question but can you buys give me your input. I really will like to go for the 26" vs 20" barrel but I really don’t know how much that is going to impact my accuracy. All remington 700 are work in progress, a lot of aftermarket upgrades with $ been a limitation (LOL). Help me out guys. Most of my shooting will be from 100 to 250 yards, I can't find anything further that 250 yards down in south Florida. Mostly bench rest shooting (bag or most likely bipod), starting with factory ammo and maybe reloading in the near future (very close one). Any of the two with factory bedding? Any pro/cons between each model?

·
Registered
9 Posts
berto255 said:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the first of the last to ask this question but can you buys give me your input. I really will like to go for the 26" vs 20" barrel but I really don’t know how much that is going to impact my accuracy. All remington 700 are work in progress, a lot of aftermarket upgrades with $ been a limitation (LOL). Help me out guys. Most of my shooting will be from 100 to 250 yards, I can't find anything further that 250 yards down in south Florida. Mostly bench rest shooting (bag or most likely bipod), starting with factory ammo and maybe reloading in the near future (very close one). Any of the two with factory bedding? Any pro/cons between each model?

i love my varmint.
the lower price allowed me to buy a scope,bipod and sling for under 600.00.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come guys, no takers for these thread. Does anyone has an input about the topic. What's different between the P & SPS model besides the stock.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 700P has a better stock from the factory than the SPS Varmint but I personally don't like the looks of short barrel rifles. This is why I bought a SPS Varmint and replaced the stock with a H-S Precision stock. That is purely an aesthetics thing and personal preference. every thing I have read says that the 20" barrel is at least as accurate as the 26" and does not loose all that much velocity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BobC said:
The 700P has a better stock from the factory than the SPS Varmint but I personally don't like the looks of short barrel rifles. This is why I bought a SPS Varmint and replaced the stock with a H-S Precision stock. That is purely an aesthetics thing and personal preference. every thing I have read says that the 20" barrel is at least as accurate as the 26" and does not loose all that much velocity.
Last edited by BobC (Today 4:42: PM)
I was also told to look into the PSS or SPS tactical but they still the high $900s

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a SPS Tactical in a 700P stock and it shoots awesome. If you want a good shooting rifle from the box and dont want to do any work to it, get the 700P but if customising is your thing, grab the varmint and order a new stock, etc. Barreled Action is the same except for the finish, the SPS is blued and the Police is Parkerised.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just ordered a 700P LTR (Light Tactical Rifle). I like you was also looking at the Varmint. I went with the LTR because everything that I was going to do to the Varmint was already done and more factory with the LTR at a cheaper price than doing it piece by piece on the Varmint. The LTR already comes with an H-S Precision stock with full length aluminum bedding block, 20 in (1:12" twist) fluted barrel, 40X trigger, super cell recoil pad, and two studs for sling and bi-pod. The rifle dry weight is 7 1/2 lbs. The accuracy is supposed to be excellent and you are only losing about 25fps per inch of barrel. Good luck on picking the perfect gun for you. Post pics when you get it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any difference between PSS (police sharp shooter) and SPS Tactical (Special Purpose Synthetic)?

I was always incline to get the 700P because of the 26" barrel but I'm really starting to reconsider my choise! And the SPS varmint because I thought it was the same as the 700P but with a vented stock? Can anyone school me a little bit. Help the rookie out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The stock on the SPS Varmint is crap period. It is very flimsy and the bedding does not fit all that well.
The finish on the SPS Varmint is a matt bluing that is said to not be quite as durable as the parkerized finish on the P. I havent had mine long enough to test this out though it seems plenty tough so far.
As far as the barreled action the SPS Varmint and the P are the same other than the finish as far as I can tell from reading about them.
I have just over $900.00 in mine with a H-S Precision take off stock from ebay and a Timiney trigger but not figuring in rings base and scope.

·
Registered
160 Posts
berto,
The SPS Varmint has a much greater selection of calibers to choose from if you were interested in something other than a .223 or .308

·
Registered
89 Posts
I see that I confused the P with the Tactical as far as barrel length. They told me everything went downhill after 50, I just didn't realise how fast it would fall lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BobC said:
I see that I confused the P with the Tactical as far as barrel length. They told me everything went downhill after 50, I just didn't realise how fast it would fall lol.
LMAO. My dad keeps telling me the same thing but I dont believe him.
See the MAN shooting my raging bull.

Papi shooting the mossberg 500

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a better idea! The 700VLS. The best 700 I own. I know your choices are the "P" or "SPS" so I would say the"P" because of the stock. It's more expensive but you'll only cry once!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts