Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't have enough Deer Rifles to go around for all the family members that have applied for Deer Licenses this year I decided to try some Youth Loads for my Remington Model 700 .308 for the smaller stature shooters in my family (namely my Grand Daughter and my Wife).

A couple weeks ago I copied the Youth Load Data for the .308 Winchester from the Hodgdon web site and loaded up some test rounds. I used 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with 38.0grs. H-4895 (again I took the charge weight, bullet and seating depth straight from the youth data at Hodgdon's web site). Then I shot a few of these loads and was pleasantly surprised at how they shot (3/4" to 1" at 100 yards), The fact that the recoil was so mild and that they printed dead zero at 100 yards with my .308 sighted in 2 1/4" high at 100 yards with my normal full power load (165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with 45.0grs. of Varget) was an added bonus.

Two weeks ago last Sunday my grandkids, my wife and I headed to the shooting range. I was armed with the .308 with the Youth Loads and 17 - 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water and 3 - 2 liter pop bottles filled with water.

My wife (who is about the same size as my 10 year old grand daughter) was the first to shoot the .308 youth loads. Immediately after the first jug exploded her reply was "these sure don't kick much". She went on to hit 4 more water jugs with 4 shots (2 at 50 yards and 3 at 100 yards). Then it was my grand daughters turn. She smoked all of the jugs at 50 yards and at 100 yards but had a bit of trouble with the 2 liter pop bottle at 100 yards (hitting it on the 3rd shot).

While I haven't chronographed these youth loads yet the Hodgdon web site shows a velocity of 2592 FPS from their 24" Barrel. Out of my 20" .308 I am hoping to still achieve 2500 - 2550 FPS.

I do have some experience with 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips at this velocity level. Several years ago I had a T/C Contender Handgun with a 14" .30-30 Ackley Improved Barrel on it. In that Handgun I used 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2601 FPS muzzle velocity. I took a smallish 4x4 Whitetail Buck with that Handgun / Load at 276 yards with a single shot and my youngest daughter took a nice doe at 200 yards with a single shot. Plus a buddy has used the same bullet and load from his .30-30 Ackley Improved Contender Handgun to take a few Whitetails also.

Now that I know the recoil is OK for my Grand Daughter when the weather cools off a bit we can concentrate on her filling her youth deer tag.

Larry

·
Registered
526 Posts
That's how I started my grandson. Actually, I started with 120 grain cast bullet loads at about 1800 FPS then worked him up to 125 gr loads at about 2400 FPS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Guy's
I've just started using a load out speer's 10 for my son. 30-06 150gr bullet (Hornady btsp) over 22.5 Sr 4759 vel around 1850fps. I've shot 30-30's with more kick.

just thought I'd share

Gag's

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

After having hunting with T/C Contenders for many years shooting rifle cartridges of reduced velocity I am quite sure my Youth Loads will do the deed provided the bullet is put in the right place.

Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts