Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i'm new to the world of the 700, i've always wanted tactical rifle and this SPS Tactical got me hooked.
i've been trying to research as much info on this rifle and this site have provided me with a lot.
i got the 700 in .308 a couple of days ago and can't wait to get it out to the range.
the information i gathered from here i ordered the EGW 20moa and Harris bipod (6"-9"),
i have an Nikon Buckmaster scope that i will use until i can upgrade the optics.
anyway, i digress my question is there a proper break-in procedure for this rifle or do i just
go out and shoot til my hearts content.

thanks,
thomas...

P.S. I don't hunt so this rifle will be just for target and zombies :D shooting

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
6camaro9, congrats and welcome.

some people swear you have to break it in, some people swear against it. its kinda like what caliber in pistol is better. 9 or 40 or 45. the debate can last a lifetime! :):cough cough 40s&w cough:: lol)

alot of people have gone through great lengths on this site cleaning after every shot, cleaning after each firing string, and so on so forth. then there a few, a very few like me that cleaned it out of the box, went and shot the rifle with out thinking about breaking it in.

i shot 1 shot every 5-10 minutes to see what its "cold bore groupings" where like. then after about 30 rounds i cleaned it when i got home with the snake and called it a day.

btw, hunting zombies without a permit is crime punishable by me taking your rifle away :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jason,

i've heard both stories on cleaning so that is why i asked. i like your process cause i don't think i have the patience to do the other especially at a range. if i was out on some land that i could take my time i might try the other but my A.D.D will get in the way.

oh, i didn't know i needed a permit. i get right down the bureau of zombies and get one. :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a few posts here about the way I went through cleaning my new barrel. I only clean out of my barrels. I do a normal cleaning after I'm done shooting. Other than that I just shoot. A bullet passing through a barrel takes out barrel imperfections. Thus leaving copper behind from the jacket of the bullet. I usually cleaned my barrel for copper about 150 rounds for the first 400 or so rounds. Now I'm at about 200 + rounds and very faint trace of copper. I wish I had a barrel camera to show you guys. Hope this gives you some barrel break insight.

·
Registered
795 Posts
There are many opinions on break as others have noted. My opinion is that it certainly won't hurt to do it so why not do it?

I use the finishing bullets from Tubs. They have compounds on the barrel that will smooth out any tooling marks. They are even good for resorting accuracy to old barrels.

http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html

I've used these on two guns so far and I haven't had any issues with them. At the very least they foul way less and are easier to clean! Make for a very smooth barrel!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't mean to start a war but...

No one has any scientific data to support the advantages of breaking-in a barrel.

Here is a link to a good article by a bench rest shooter Gail McMillan, of McMillan stocks (they sell top rated stocks to the US Marine Corp btw) fame, that opposes breakin-in a barrel. All that needless cleaning and manipulation adds to the wear and tear on the barrel.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

A factory barrel by Remington is probably a cheap less than $50 part. Its hard to improve on accuracy without going to an expensive custom $500+ barrel. Spend your time working on shooting and less on cleaning.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
One difference between a $500 match barrel and a stock barrel is that a match barrel is hand lapped, when a stock barrel is not and it has imperfections inside of it. Bullets passing through it take out these imperfections. I back up my statement with real life practice on my rifles. I don't believe in break in thought because its not a proven fact.

My Remington 700 SPS Tac as of now has about 500-600 rounds down the barrel and the last copper cleaning has been done about 200 rounds ago and still no trace of copper in the barrel because its now basically a lapped barrel. Now my match Shilen barrel is now up to about 200 rounds and not one trace of copper (I'm the orifinal owner since new) because its a lapped barrel.

This is my 2 cents from my experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Winxp_Man for the info, i've decide that i'm not going to do the 1 shot and clean method. i'm going shoot 10 rounds then clean and repeat once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts