Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, and thanks for having this forum I have been reading over it the past couple days prior to me ordering my SPS Tac AAC-SD. Also new to using scopes , so to my question regarding scopes:

Are there any scopes that you would recommend for shooting 100 to 600 meters that won't break my bank. I have read all the suggestions for the names brands etc, but will not have that much $$$ available right before Christmas but I still want to take the rifle out so I am think the Bushnell Elite versions but not sure which would be good for those ranges.

Also what is everyone's thoughts on the SPS tac AAC-SD verses the other options in the 700 series, for the price is it a good buy or should I have gone with just the SPS Tac or varmint?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
You won't go wrong with the aac. Mine is a one hole tack driver. I will recommend changing the stock and then bedding the new one. As far as optics go, if your own a budget for now check out the Walmart centerpoints there not too bad considering. A little better glass but less features would be a redfield revolution. Up from that you have your elites, konus m30, and a small handful of others. I have a Konus and for the 300-350 range i wouldn't trade it for the world. Now I have compared it to other high end scopes and there are a few differences but as far as glass clarity it's damn near on par.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply jasonbourne. My thoughts so far, once I get the rifle, are to replace the stock, buy scope, etc, and then maybe new trigger. But I am not sure how to shop for the scope for shooting a max distance of 600 meters accurately or as accurately as possible within my budget. I understand some of that will be the ammo used but I want to buy a scope that is capable of get to that distances without issue.

I will also mention I am still reading these forums on "how to" for the "bedding" steps since I have never done that before. Is it possible to just purchase a stock that would already be good to go? Here is about what I am looking to spend give or take a few $$$.

Scope $300 max
Stock $300 max

Thanks again for the reply and advice.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
As far as what you need in a scope would be a scope that has atleast 18-20 moa of vertical adjustment (most scopes can accomplish this), parallax adjustment dial (helps clear up the image at different distances through mirage), 1 " tube will work, 30mm works better. Depending on the type of shooting your doing you want either 1/4 moa dials or maybe even 1/8 moa dials (that's what I use, alot of people will say it's too many clicks but I count moa revolutions not clicks). The bigger the bell the better light gathering your going to get.
Finger adjustable turrets are a MUST if your going to be adjusting back and forth. That's all I can think of for scope.

For stock, just about any stock you buy will be g2g. But to squeeze out that last bit of accuracy bedding is a must unless you get a chassis system ($700-$1300).

The two brands of choice on here are hs precision and bell and Carlson.
B&c are slightly cheaper in price but damn near identical in quality. I use a b&c and could not be happier. You can get the light tactical model for right around 210.00 with bedding you will still be under

One thing you did not mention was scope rings and base.

A great base for the money are the EGW picatiny 1 piece 20moa rail.
As far as rings go, Burris extreme rings ($30-40), warne tactical (40-80), and leupold mark 4s (130-160) are the consensus between most of us. I use the mark 4s in steel. They are heavy but they lock down the scope perfectly.

Hope this helped a little.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
As far as magnification goes it depend on you. 10x is good enough but I like the most magnification possible. Aim small miss small. The down side to high magnification at longer distance is increased mirage. This is where the high end scopes shine. They have such fine parallax adjustment they can fight through some of the worst mirage with ease.

Btw the Walmart centerpoints are about 100.00 as a bonus they come with rings(kinda cheapie rings)

·
Registered
477 Posts
check out the SWFA super sniper scopes. you'll never find a bad review on one. i just bought one for my 700P and i love it. the glass is pretty good, it tracks well and there's several models to choose from. they're $299 for the cheapest ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Outstanding thanks you both for all the great information. I am hoping the rifle will be here today, then next week I will start looking at ordering the scope, rings, and rail. The stock will probably not happen until January but at least with the scope on I will be able to go test out the rifle.

I am sure I will have more questions while building this, hope you don't mind.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

PS. I am having a hard time finding a scope with 1/8 most of what I am finding has the 1/4 turns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just going off of jasonbourne comment above, I was going to compare the two options. At this point not sure if I will purchase the 1/8 or the 1/4 just trying to look at every option for the money right now. Why is there are reason I should not or is it not recommended ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
oh, i didnt see that part. he's right though, dont get in a habit of counting in "clicks" as they change as the range to the target changes....you'll just wind up confused or with the wrong dope.

i've never used 1/8 scopes, but i feel like it would just complicate the math process. that's really the only thing i could ever see bugging me. that and all my scope dope is for a scope with 1/4 adjustments. i supposed it wouldnt be too hard to reconfigure.

the 1/8 will allow you to be a little more precise though, kind of like a MIL/MIL scope. which, that's also something you should look into. they have a few out that wont break the bank and arent bad scopes. you could look at the millet TRS-1 (about $299) and the falcon series opitcs (about $350, but they adjust in .1 MILs and are a FFP reticle)

sorry if some of this sounds like spanish to you, but you'll figure it out as you do research. check SWFA.com, they have a bunch of good scopes, most have reviews and their pricing is about the cheapest on the net (in most cases)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct is does all seem foreign to me right now but I am learning and I would rather learn now then later after I have spent the money :) I will check SWFA.com thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I put Raleigh because most people know Raleigh more than Fuquay Varina :) I did see where you lived in NC but was not sure where. So where do you go shoot?

·
Registered
477 Posts
ah yes FV, my uncle lives down in holly springs. i up on the north side of town just inside 540.

i usually shoot down at my grandparents. they live out in the middle of nowhere in duplin county. there's a bunch of big fields out there where i can shoot out to 400-500 yards.

there's a shooting range in holly springs, the wake county firearms something or another. i cant remember. have you been?

·
Registered
477 Posts
that's what i figured.

i know there's another place in creedmoor, but you have buy into the place, you have to have a member recommend you join and then pay a yearly membership. too much money to spend in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
1/4 moa click value at 600 yards = approx 1.5 inches
1/8 moa click value at 600 yards = approx .75 inches

1/4 moa click value at 200 yards = approx .50 inches
1/4 moa click value at 200 yards = approx .25 inches

1/4 moa click value at 100 yards = approx .25 inches
1/8 moa clck value at 100 yards = approx .125 inches

It's a pain at first to get used to it, but the fine tuning I get out of it is worth it to me.
If speed of adjustment is a concern 1/4 or even 1/2 moa click values are better.
My hunting rifle (savage) has a 1/4 moa scope, my target rifle has a 1/8 scope.

Note: I have a migraine from hell right now so my numbers may be a little off. But you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Usually the higher magnification scopes have 1/8th adjustment. It may be hard to find one on the lower cost end. The only one I know of is he konus m30 8.5-32x52. Midway USA has them for 339.00. I did some searching and I found they sell a version of the millet trs 1 / 4-16x50 for right under 300.00 with 1/8 moa but I have not found a retailer that carries them. The plus side to both of these scopes is the 30mm body. Larger body means more room for more vertical adjustment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to go thanks I will check those two scopes out and if they have good reviews I will try and purchase one of those.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts