Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know WHAT MODELS of Remington were involved in the SUPPOSED ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGES??
I am about to buy my first Rem 700 ADL chambered 22-250. I have had this caliber before only in a custom built rifle. I am wondering if changing of the trigger mechinisum (Timney targetmaster) would be benificial.
Any help or construtive criticisams would help.
I have decided on 22-250 because I loved the caliber and I have everything it takes to reload this caliber.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OEF
I dont believe this things would have happened if the firearm was properly handled with regard to storage and never more than 1 round per and properly unloaded before transport .In all my years of handling firearms I have never had an accidental discharge. They try to make it appear it was REMINGTIONS Fault . There may have been a flaw in the trigger design but there would have been no discharge had the weapon been properly unloaded and not just put on safety SAFETYS DONT ALWAYS WORK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
I'm sure you meant that last statement to be for "mikethefixitman" and not me. All I said is I don't believe in accidental discharges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
O.E.F_M.P said:
I personally don't believe in accidental discharges only negligent discharges
My BDL was made in 1981. If I closed the bolt and pulled the trigger, while the safety was on, the firing pin would fall, when I switched the safety to [off]

In other words:
1. Pull the trigger and release [gun does not go off, obviously].
2. Wait as long as you want.
3. Without touching the trigger, release the safety.
4. [CLICK] you watch the firing pin drop on the empty chamber.

Let me tell you, that'll activate your coffee.

Thank God it never happened, out in the field. I now keep the bolt partway up, when transporting the gun, in the field.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jet Black
I kinda wondered if something like this may have happened. I even or used too, as I dont have a target or hunting rifle at the moment,but I used too. I never carried my rife with a round in the chamber. Now to quailify that I always did bench or bag shoot off a car or pickup truck. Fox and wood chucks were the main targets.I used to hunt with several friends and the rule was no loaded rifles unless you are about to shoot and only one round in the rife at a time.WE NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENT or an ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
With the target trigger, I don't even have a safety anymore so.... I go "bolt-up-round-in-the-chamber" when I'm hunting, because cycling an entire round will certainly spook an animal, in a wooded area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I have a 1975 built 6mm 700. I got it real cheap($200.00) after witnessing it fire while the bolt was being lifted. the young man who was unloading the rifle had his left hand on the forend and the other on the bolt handle no where near the trigger. I do not know if the safety was on or not. I have been teaching firearms classes for many years and could not get the rifle to repeat this even when banging it pretty hard. The rifle was in factory new condition and had not been modified or adjusted. I had a smith look it over and again it functioned flawlessly. Remington replaced the trigger mechanism free of charge. I have no explanation for what I saw but it was not due to negligent handling. thank the lord the young man was following safety rules and had it pointed in a safe direction. I have no issues with remington and feel they produce a fine product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
C633 said:
I have a 1975 built 6mm 700. I got it real cheap($200.00) after witnessing it fire while the bolt was being lifted. the young man who was unloading the rifle had his left hand on the forend and the other on the bolt handle no where near the trigger. I do not know if the safety was on or not. I have been teaching firearms classes for many years and could not get the rifle to repeat this even when banging it pretty hard. The rifle was in factory new condition and had not been modified or adjusted. I had a smith look it over and again it functioned flawlessly. Remington replaced the trigger mechanism free of charge. I have no explanation for what I saw but it was not due to negligent handling. thank the lord the young man was following safety rules and had it pointed in a safe direction. I have no issues with remington and feel they produce a fine product.
I don't understand the nature of the actual problem, as I cannot see why my gun did what it did, either. But it was very repeatable.

Love my 700 and wouldn't trade it for anything... except maybe a 40x in 7mm mag ;) Because I'm sentimental, not crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I believe my 700 BDL manufactured late 90's came with the 40X trigger. My friend at our gun club who I trust for working on firearms helped me adjust the trigger to about 2.5 lbs. I've used it now for about 10 years and have had no problems with it and really like it. My nephew just got a 700 and his Xmas present started me and my brothers discussing the safety issue with Rem Mod 700's. I hadn't digested all of what I thought was misinformation about the issue. So I decided to reseach it in order to sort through to the facts. I still think the 40X trigger on my rifle is an excellent trigger but after reading through days of discussions on this forum and others I purchased from Midway a 510 Timney. Just having the possibility that oil, dirt, or other environmental effects could impact the safety of my rifle made me do it. I understand and fully accept the responsibility that firearm safety is my responsibility but I can't guarantee that for everybody that touches my rifles. I expect though that the Timney will be an improvement on the rifle especially as the safety can be engaged whether the rifle is cocked or not. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Remington 700 (7-mm Rem Mag), Cooper 52 (30-06), Cooper 57 (.17 HMR), Winchester 1885 (38-55), Marlin 39 (.22 LR), Winchester 9422 (.22 WMR) - Leupold scopes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I bought my SPS700 22-250 in 2006 and I have had two accidential discharges when I moved the safety from safe to fire while the bolt was in complete battery. I had the rifle for about 6 months at that time and I took it into the remington armourer for warranty work on the trigger which was also very heavy and he adjusted it to about 4 oz for me. I was a LEO at the time, as was he and a little officer courtesy was extended to me. I used to think that accidential discharges or equipment failures in other equipment was always operator error but I have found that mechanical failure is always a concern. To forstall where I come from, I am both a Canadian and US army veteran, 27 years. Queen of Battle. Follow Me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
4 oz? Wow. Be careful with that, Queen of Battle. I have mine set at about 3 lbs for tactical purposes but 4 oz seems light for ANY purpose. I'd bet you could drop the gun and it would go off every time. Triggers set that light is why Rem ended up in the news last year. Not their fault...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
PALADIN said:
Wow. Be careful with that, Queen of Battle...
Lol this has funny forum signature written all over it lol.

Sorry, on a real note. My target rifle is at 1lb and it's light enough. Anything less than that in my opinion should be for a benchrest rifle only. 4oz on a factory trigger? That screams danger in my mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
jasonbourne said:
PALADIN said:
Wow. Be careful with that, Queen of Battle...
Lol this has funny forum signature written all over it lol.

Sorry, on a real note. My target rifle is at 1lb and it's light enough. Anything less than that in my opinion should be for a benchrest rifle only. 4oz on a factory trigger? That screams danger in my mind.
Queen of Battle is the infantry and comes from the game of chess wherein the Queen is the most maneuverable piece on the board. The King is artillary and the Jack is calvary. Follow Me is the US Army Infantry motto. I was infantry in the Acoy 3/19 Infantry RDF at Ft Stewart.

You would freak out then on shooting my T/C hawkins .50cal that has a set trigger that is so light that I estimate to be about 1/10oz and that is a guess.
When I have people first shoot the rifle I have them try the trigger in its normal pull to get a feel for it and then I tell them to pull the rear trigger which is the set trigger and before they even touch the front trigger that all they have to do is think about pulling the trigger and it will go off. I place the web of my hand over the nipple and recock the hammer and have them try pulling the trigger several times before they actually fire the rifle. The set trigger really shines when I am shooting targets and also in specific situations when I am hunting and a quick shot has to be made. :cool:
Chimo
InTheDark ITD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
inthedark said:
You would freak out then on shooting my T/C hawkins .50cal that has a set trigger that is so light that I estimate to be about 1/10oz and that is a guess.
When I have people first shoot the rifle I have them try the trigger in its normal pull to get a feel for it and then I tell them to pull the rear trigger which is the set trigger and before they even touch the front trigger that all they have to do is think about pulling the trigger and it will go off. I place the web of my hand over the nipple and recock the hammer and have them try pulling the trigger several times before they actually fire the rifle. The set trigger really shines when I am shooting targets and also in specific situations when I am hunting and a quick shot has to be made. :cool:
Chimo
InTheDark ITD
I try to stay out of interweb arguments but I just have to say, Someone needs to calibrate their trigger scale.

And no, I wouldn't freek out on your Hawkin trigger, I have one of my own. Actuall, I have two. They are noway near as light as my 2 oz Jewell triggers on my prairie dog rifles. Remington factory triggers should never be set less than 2.5 pounds. I never set them less than 3 pounds.

 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top