Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been pondering the idea of making my sps all it can be and have one final decision to make, the action! Needless to say was very interested in a surgeon 591 short action but at a pricey $1500 CDN plus taxes and shipping from a reputable gunsmithing shop, made me a bit hesitant. I have been talking to my gunsmith contact at ATRS and he can set me up with truing my 700 action, fit and chamber a new barrel it, engraving not stamping the calibre data on the barrel, cutting and crowning the new barrel, installing a bolt knob, and realigning the existing one piece rail if needed for $1325 CDN plus shipping and tax.
I am seriously thinking this route as he states this work can truly optimize the performance and accuracy to be on par, if not better than dropping in an action alone. The $1325 is the cost of all the machining, lathe work, bolt knob, new barrel and assembly.
Any thoughts of inputs on this would be appreciated. Also at same time, new barrel, so a longer length, twist rate could be condsidered too. Guns main purpose longer range coyote hunting, closer range deer/elk hunting. Wouldnt hesitate plate shooting to as far as gun/operator can handle. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
When I started my rifle (1st bolt action build) I never realized how quick the cost adds up. There will always be something new or better to buy to enhance or replace what you have. IMO I think if your rifle is shooting good (moa or better) leave it be. Out of the two options you listed though I would probably go with the second option as a custom barrel would be nice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can say the costs sure do add up in a hurry. This last change would be later on down the line, nothing immediately, cause as of now I'm still waiting til about april for the arrival of my JAE stock and accessores. I havent had many rounds through it to begin with so would like to see the real potential of this so to speak "stock" rifle and what it can really do. I was just looking for some feedback on what others think, or do in this situation. Thank you for the input jasonbourne, Winxp Man. Will definitely hold on till the rest of my goodies arrive, and have some more range time under my belt with this rifle. -35*c outside so no range all week. Week outlook is more promising...just in time for days off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
$1325 is way to much. I had a custom rifle maker do everything you list except put the caliber on the barrel and the bolt knob for $880....He even threaded my new lilja barrel for my suppressor. Look around and if you have to send it off to somebody to get it done. I called several gunsmiths and all were about the same.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
unless he sends his stuff to the US in Canada things of this sort are a little more dollar. I stayed up there for 3 months and I will say this that a Remington PSS .308 was priced at 2500-2700 cant remember exactly but it was one heffty price. At the time the Canadian dollar was 10 less than the US dollar.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the gunsmithing shop does everything in shop, they have all the tools and materials on hand and dont need to send out for anything. I thought it was a descent price but glad I asked, will definitely look and ask around. Generally there seems to be a price dif as I was looking into the surgeon action from surgeon themselves for 1200ish USD and quoted 1500 CDN, none the less will look around. like i said gonna shoot as is for awhile so I will have plenty of time for comparison between shops and prices.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We have a local Smith who does a lot of Benchrect and competition rifle building. The last action I had done by him was $550. He trues the face, re-cuts the threads and trues the bolt. He charges $250 to fit a barrel plus the cost of the barrel. A new, trued recoil lug is included in the barrel fitting.

It's easy to match the cost of a custom action if you don't already have an action .

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you cant get a nice deal up in Canada try talking to US gunsmiths and maybe even read on how to get your rifle sent across the border for some upgrade work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
trues the face, re-cuts the threads and trues the bolt
Let me ask about action work.
At what point do you decide this is what you want. Is it on a deer gun you just love.....is it on a long range dog hunting gun....benchrest shooter....or for the enjoyment of the feel of the action? How do I justify the money for action work. Is it going to help accuracy more than a stock 700.

·
Registered
526 Posts
RidgeRunner said:
jerrschmitt said:
trues the face, re-cuts the threads and trues the bolt
Let me ask about action work.
At what point do you decide this is what you want. Is it on a deer gun you just love.....is it on a long range dog hunting gun....benchrest shooter....or for the enjoyment of the feel of the action? How do I justify the money for action work. Is it going to help accuracy more than a stock 700.

I do it only on my long range prairie dog guns. Deer rifles can shoot 4 MOA and still be good enough for deer. For Benchrest, it's pretty hard to compete with anything other than a custom action.

It's really hard to quantify results from action work. I don't think anyone knows how much improvement is gained by re cutting the threads or facing off the action. The key is that everythinbg should be square. Sleeveing the bolt and bushing the fireing pin are also often done but I'm not sure how much accuracy is improved by doing that. There are just too many things that go into making an accurate rifle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The gain of having a custom trued action, or a blueprinted factory action are minimal. The cost doesn't justify the return. I have seen factory rifles outshoot GAP built precision machines, simply because the operator wasn't as good as his custom action. Shoot out the factory barrel before even considering throwing dollars into an action job. Spend the money on optics, AM trigger, etc. Just my 2 cents :p

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
crockett007 said:
The gain of having a custom trued action, or a blueprinted factory action are minimal. The cost doesn't justify the return. I have seen factory rifles outshoot GAP built precision machines, simply because the operator wasn't as good as his custom action. Shoot out the factory barrel before even considering throwing dollars into an action job. Spend the money on optics, AM trigger, etc. Just my 2 cents :p

All this plus lots of ammo. Trigger time often pays more dividends than all the "custom work".

Like you said, shoot out the factory barrel and by then the shooter will probably be ready for any benefit a custom will yield.

On that note, I have a 5R Milspec and can't seem to get the barrel to give up yet. I really want to buy a new barrel but approaching 4,000 rounds, the original is still giving me one hole groups at 100 yards and as little as .3" @300 (average sub 1" @300). Damn, I really want a new barrel :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts