Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I did a sweep of the local gun stores yesterday looking for a .22 to save money on my shooting trips...

I instead brought home an SPS Tac .308, proving that I am very poor at shopping discipline. This is my first 'modern' bolt action, and while I will eventually begin the upgrades, it will remain mostly stock for the near future.

My first question is, knowing that using a bipod or resting the rifle near the forward end of the stock will cause contact with the barrel, has anyone seen an actual difference using a bipod vs. resting the rifle farther down the stock? And how far down the stock do you rest the rifle if there is a difference?

I doubt with my skill level that there will be a difference either way, but I will take any advantage I can.

Thanks for the help

(Yea, it's stock, but a pic is a pic)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, did a quick run to a 100 yard range to break in the new rifle...

Still learning how to shoot a scoped rifle, but I did have my first sub moa groups...

(150Grain Winchester soft point)

(168Grain Hornady TAP)

The rifle outperforms the shooter for now, so I am going to hold off on mods until that changes.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Now when you get a chance run some 168 FGMM ammo through it and see how its does.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Looks like your potty training yor new rifle. :lol: Welcome to the club and nice choice of rifle! Like winxpman said try some 168g FGMM to get a good idea of what your stick will do......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got some of that Federal match inbound (as well as some others).

And, since I made this promise...
The rifle outperforms the shooter for now, so I am going to hold off on mods until that changes.
all of 48 hours ago, I have decided it null and void.

A new stock in inbound as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, to update what I have done so far, 4 range trips.

1. Indoor range to test, and zero.
(Installed B&C M40 style stock)
2. Outdoor range trip to rezero, test grouping, and my first ever shots at a target >100yards (250) (I lived a sheltered life)
(Installed Harris 6-9")
3. Outdoor range trip to practice, my first shots out to 500 yards (With only a couple of misses in moderate wind).

4. Today, went to the range to work on some other rifles and pistols, but shot a box of FGMM in the SPS Tac. Including hitting a 20" steel at 750 yards 2/6 times in some really odd wind, my first 6 shots at that distance.

I bought the SPS to attempt to push out to 500 yards and can now consistently hit at that range and am starting to push beyond that.

I am falling in love with distance shooting, and am glad that a range has opened up in my area that allows me to pursue it.

There is something really unnatural and lovely about firing 15 feet above your target

1 - 9 of 9 Posts