Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Kansas guys on the site who know of a good place for long range stuff other than the Central Kansas Gun Club near Hutchinson. Our state's sniper school was there, but it is a private range and the waiting list is... wait for it...

...4 years long.

Yeah. Looking for a place to get dope on much longer ranges than the two 100 yard ranges in the Wichita area. Kansasborn... you know of any place? I'm tired of drooling over JFcomfort's pics of all his available shooting areas. I'm really just jealous and looking for a place to shoot long range in the flattest state on the planet. It shouldn't be this hard!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dennis.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I gotta load up some 300 WM rounds and head out for some LR shooting :D I will post pics when I get them. The weather here in Nor Cal has been super great for going out. The temps are down and no sign of rain yet. Good luck with finding a spot Paladin.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could go to the NRA website and look up the "Places to Shoot" part..

http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

Eaton Employee's Gun Club , Hutchinson , KS
Central Kansas Gun Club , Hutchinson , KS
Cheney Lake Shooting Range , Pretty Prairie , KS
Quail Valley Sporting Clays & Hunt Club , Moundridge , KS

And that's just within 25 miles. Going to 50 adds another dozen clubs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The list that Dennis gave was very extensive but the only rifle ranges that extended past 200 yards were all private, which I'm not opposed to trying to join but it's usually a very long wait. Etkini, I'll look up Eaton Employee's Gun Club in Hutchinson. I'm in Hutch at least 2-3 times a month (Inlaws). I'm surprised I haven't heard of it. On of my officers is also a part time range officer at the Cheney Lake one. That's a 100 yard only for rifle. Either way, I obviously have some more homework to do. Thanks for the input, guys.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anytime. That NRA Places to Shoot site has helped me out a lot through my move from Upstate New York to the Albany area.. and I'm sure it'll help me when I get out of this shithole and move to a free state (Kentucky) next year.

You'd think being Kansas you'd have a ton of ranges. It seems I got more here in the Albany area than all of Kansas has.. odd how that works.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell me about it. The flattest state in the country and there's nowhere to shoot. I'm working on some private land stuff right now, so hopefully that will pan out. I really want to get dope out to 1000; I only have out to 600 now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
PALADIN said:
Any Kansas guys on the site who know of a good place for long range stuff other than the Central Kansas Gun Club near Hutchinson. Our state's sniper school was there, but it is a private range and the waiting list is... wait for it...

...4 years long.

Yeah. Looking for a place to get dope on much longer ranges than the two 100 yard ranges in the Wichita area. Kansasborn... you know of any place? I'm tired of drooling over JFcomfort's pics of all his available shooting areas. I'm really just jealous and looking for a place to shoot long range in the flattest state on the planet. It shouldn't be this hard!!!
Paladin, I just saw this. The only places that I know of are also private. Cap City Gun Club in Topeka goes out to 300 yards and Mill Creek Gun Club in Desoto goes out to 300 as well (I'm waiting on my application as we speak). I'm from Wichita but don't know of anything down there longer than 100 yards. How far are you willing to drive? We used to have a place north of Lawrence until the jackass neighbors called the Sheriff and filed a complaint. They said that we were "raining bullets onto there house". I'd say it was a possibility if they were 180 degrees from the direction that we shoot, over a large hill with thick trees, and over 3/4 of a mile away...Total crap. Plus, they complained two weeks after the last time we had been out there shooting. We didn't want to cause problems for the land owner so we don't shoot out there anymore. Luckily we still have a place to deer hunt. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be willing to drive a couple hours or more if the land went out to 600 or longer. I sort of have a (super secret) long range zeroing area that is actually in my jurisdiction. My chief and a neighboring chief approved it and some grounds guys actually put in a huge berm for me. This should enable me to occasionally (maybe once a month or so) shoot out to 700 yards or so. Final approval for that should be this week or next.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All you have to do to be able to shoot with me is drive to KS from FL, become LE with our department, and give me $1000. Don't answer now... just think on it.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I'm okay with the moving to Kansas. Becoming an Leo. I'd have to loose a few good times from meals eaten past, 1k? What's that a Referal bonus? Lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
PALADIN said:
I'd be willing to drive a couple hours or more if the land went out to 600 or longer. I sort of have a (super secret) long range zeroing area that is actually in my jurisdiction. My chief and a neighboring chief approved it and some grounds guys actually put in a huge berm for me. This should enable me to occasionally (maybe once a month or so) shoot out to 700 yards or so. Final approval for that should be this week or next.
Sounds like you're good to go. I went and checked out Cap City gun club on Sunday and had a blast. It seems like you said that you were in a suburb of Wichita. I'd drive down and shoot with you but I don' t know about the money or career change!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fine. $750.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts