Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at these, the price is good and they don't feel to bad,only know 1 guy who has one in .243 he says he likes it butt he only shoots maybe 6 rounds a year,so that really tells me nothing.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
From what I read it's kind of a hybrid. It's more "Marlin" than Remington with a Savage-like" trigger.

Instead of hammer forged barrel it has a button rifled barrel.

If you want a rifle to shoot, at a good price, it could be a good deal. If you want a rifle to "build on" you'd be better off with one of Reminton's 700 "entry level" rifles. The aftermarket for the 783's may not be there any time soon. With the 700's there are hundreds of options from stocks, triggers, bolts, etc.

You can buy one right now from Cabels's for $299 and it includes a 3-9X40 Scope. Sounds like a good hunting rifle you won't cry over much if it gets dropped and falls to the bottom of a ravine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They seem quite solid, and have a decent reputation for accuracy. As to upgrades, there's probably not nearly as much as for 700s, but I know that some of the companies making chassis systems have started inletting for the 783.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is a entry level rifle. If you only plan on shooting it a few times a year for hunting, I'm sure it would be fine. It would not be a rifle I would buy to begin target shooting with. I bought my son the 770 in .243, I think the 783 now replaces that 770. Its an ok rifle for hunting and thats about it, it gets 3/4 inch groups with handloads. And I'm sure the 783 would be the same. Better to buy a 700 adl and upgrade it down the road if you want a better rifle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah so I bought a box of Winchester .243 and went to the range to try it out,it's a 2 incher with the ammo I bought. Wasn't to impressed with it.I think pikeman's dead on.Actually I'll look for a used 700 short action,beings I got an extra BC stock laying around. Hopefully find a bdl cause I don't want to spend on bottom metal to upgrade a adl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts