Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m wanting to start loading for my Rem. 700 in .270 Win. and was wondering about some of the better components as far as powder,primers and bullets. I`m going to use it for hunting but i`m a stickler for accuracy. I`ve only shot factory ammo so far and my rifle seems to like 130 Core-Lokts. If I could get close to that i`d be happy. I`ve also tried Winchester premiums but didn`t shoot as tight as the Rem. stuff but at least i`ve aquired some Winny brass.

Burch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JFComfort said:
I have a friend with a pretty bitch'en .270 load. I believe he's using a Berger VLD hunting bullet. I'll have to ask him about the powder, primer and which brand cases he is using.
`preciate it

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know the specific load data but I know my aunt uses a .270 to take elk. She is shooting a 150grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, winchester brass and primer, and the powder is IMR 4350. You could do a ladder test to find what powder level your gun likes. As I recall she was able to put three shots touching at 100 yards with it. She has also shot elk at over 300 yards with this load and it's performed well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My favorite all time .270 load looks like this:

Case: Winchester .270, match prepped
Primer: CCI-Br2
Bullet: 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
Powder: 55 grains of IMR-4350
COL: seat bullet to clear lands by .025"
MV: 3000 ft/sec in 22" barrel

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is a pretty dead thread, but I've been tinkering around lately with handloads for my Remington 700 ADL in .270 Winchester. After much deliberation (and the fact that Wal-Mart had R-22 and not IMR 4350) I decided on a hunting load with: 130gr. Sierra GameKing SPBT bullets
CCI LR #200 primers
A charge of 58.2 grains of Reloader 22, which I settled on after working up from 55 grains.

This is good for a ballpark 3000 FPS out of a 22" barrel and more than adequate accuracy for hunting deer-sized game out to 300 or 400 yards. I have shot sub-minute groups with these rounds, and though group size is not my primary concern I feel that these rounds would be even more accurate than I can shoot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my old hunting buddy mike used this load outa his 270. 130 gr sierra spitzer 57 gr imr 4831 and a remington primer. shot very well i lost my best friend about 4 years ago. i still have all his info on loads for all his rifles. i read this post and thought about his old 700 in 270. only load that ever shot real good out of it. thats the problem with having all your friends alot older than you they die, and it sucks. i hope this load is some help to some one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts