Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an ATN scope on my 700. I bought the 700 from a relative who bought the ATN scope new and put it on the rifle. Anyways I like the scope alright I would probably like it more if it had shorter rings. The problem with that is ATN no longer makes scopes only night and thermal scopes. I've tried to find some but am afraid to buy off the net and don't know if all rings are created equal. So any help someone could give me on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
Whats the main tube diameter of the scope? You cant go wrong with US Optics rings or Badger Ordnance rings. Their are many good brands out there to chose from, Seekins and TPS also comes to mind. If your looking to save money people have been happy with the Burris Extreme rings.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Be absolutely SURE of the tube diameter! We use ATN's laser target aquisition systems, and we even fielded some of their scopes. All of the scopes they sent us were 42mm tubes. I know that they also made some 30mm rings. Show us a picture of the scope and Maybe we can identify the model for you.

Or call the folks up at ATN and ask them about rings for your model.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill do some research on those companies. I have some pictures of it on my rifle posted I'd post some pics of it now if I could but am on here via my blackberry so kinda can't do that right now. I do know its 6-18x65. As far as anything else that's all I know for now. Only problem with the rings are is that where the sight adjustment is it looks to be fairly close and don't know how much lower I can go. If I had the cash I'd just buy a nightforce scope or a leaupold but won't buy anything less than those. As far as ATN products just as I was getting out they were just getting them to us. So didn't get to play with them. So any more advice you could give me is always greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup that would be my scope. Kinda makes me sick seeing it a 180 and 5 years ago when the scope was purchased new it was $750. Oh well. So can you tell me something more about my scope?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, your main tube is 30mm so any rings you buy need to be 30mm. That's good for you because those are VERY popular and everybody makes 30mm rings.

Caution: the only thing you need to worry about is clearing that huge 65mm objective!

So is your scope mounted to a 1913 Picatinny Rail system? Like mine is here in this picture?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is. Another problem that looks like I may encounter is the center section is close to bottoming out so I have some room to work with lowering it but little as soon as I can get a Mic I'm gonna see how much lower I can get and post my results back on here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your scope shouldn't bottom out. It may be close, but shouldn't bottom out - look at mine, it's really close. You have a great idea about putting the Mic to it though.

That scope is a Counter Sniper 4-16x42.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think I'm gonna buy some burris rings. The guy I buy all my shooting stuff from recommended them to me

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's the Counter Sniper 4-16X42

Burris Rings are good rings

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and I got my 700 out last night and it don't have the full rail system like yours but looks like it has 2 small ones, one on either side of the chamber opening.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's the weaver type setup. You'll eventually want to get a 1913 Picatinny Rail System.

It's one solid piece so it takes any flex, or misalignment issues out of the equation

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea. That's the plan. Plus I'm going to get an HS precision stock fot it

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice. HS Precision makes some great stocks. Snap some pics of that monster during the process, it's cool to see them transformed from stock into "super" stock.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh don't worry I will. I already have pics of it in its current stock state but ill post a before and after picture of it when its done witch should be here soon I hope. Gonna buy the stuff and put it all on at the same time. Already got my steel picatanny rail system orderd and my burris rings. So now got to save up some cash and get my stock. By the way I found an awesome website for stocks ( stockeys stocks)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got my new base for my scope today. But its shitty that my cousin who ii bought the rifle off of I guess over torqued a screw on the weaver mount on now its all rounded out now and now I have to take it to a gunsmith to get it out. So ill post new pictures of it as soon as I get it on.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well got the screw out now thanks to a good friend and his knowledge of working on motorcycles he used a torx head screw drive and got it out so now I have my new mount on and now my burris tatical medium rings so now my scope sits almost as low as yours BOB4KT so happy with the way it sits now. Pictures of the mods soon to come.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts