Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have picked up my brand spanking new SPS Tactical in 308 Winchester the other day.

I have fitted the rifle with a Leupold Mark 4 Scope in 6.5-20X50mm with a Tactical Milling Reticle. I used Leupold PRW rings (medium) and bases to securely mount the scope. I have also attached a Harris Bi Pod to the sling swivel that I have been using on my 222.

I will take it to the range as it is with some factory 308 ammo to sight the scope and run the barrel in (I have decided I will use a basic run in procedure of fire one shot, clean, cool barrel and fire again etc etc for the first ten shots, then clean every second shot for the next ten)

After that I will decide on mods such as bedding and floating etc etc.

Here are some photos of my yet to be fired SPS.....if it shoots half as good as it looks it should go great.

To be continued......

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nice rifle mate. Really nice. Let us know she shoots.

·
Registered
795 Posts
How do you like the 6.5 - 20 Mark 4? I have a 4.5 - 14 and I like it pretty well. Seems pretty clear and crisp at the full zoom even.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the scope so far, the local gun dealer was trying to sell me the 8.5-25X50, but I did not like the 8.5 starting point, as I want to use the rifle for hunting, and I thought it was too much starting at 8.5.

The scope appears nice and clear, and I believe it is a great scope for my intended use, I thought about it long and hard, and all decisions are a compromise, I also love he mounts, they look good, even though they are not cheap, but appear to be great quality.

I already have some minor mods in mind, but will post updates as they develop.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I reckon the biggest thing will be the stock, they do flex a tad much mate and the trigger. IMHO, make those two the first mods. I have an old style R700 trigger and its beuatiful. If you wnat out west I'd let ya have a play with my SPS Tactical.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have already ordered myself an alloy bedding block from the good old USA. Have also looked at some options in relation to strengthening the stock to stop the fore end flex to avoid the barrel touching the stock when using a rest or bi pod. I don't mind doing the work, as I like doing it.

Want to get some groups on the target before I touch the rifle at all, will then start bedding and floating the rifle, if I am not happy with the results I can always replace the stock later on.

I however feel that I will be happy.

When I was talking to gunsmiths about bedding and floating my Ruger 77 Stainless Steel Synthetic chambered in .222, I was told not to wast my time, as the stocks are cheap and nast and its a cheap mass produced rifle (which it was at around A$690, with a $200 Taiwanses Tasco Scope). To my delight and everyone elses surprise the cheap Ruger 77 now gets .5MOA consistently shooting off the bi pod, and has done so for years with my own developed handloads using 50grain Nosler Ballistic tips. This rifle can consistantly hit a matchbox at 100 yards and a cigarette packet at 200 yards.

Here is the bedding block on its way over from the US :

http://www.whiddengunworks.net/beddingblockbuynow.html

And here is the link to my Ruger 77:

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=499

Will keep this updated with range results and any mods as they happen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These arrived in the mail last week, all bought on e bay for a great price:

So I am now pretty much ready to reload some ammo, have not even had time to fire a shot with my new toy yet, been too busy at work, just been insanly busy, and I want to enjoy my range session, and I do not want to be rushed when I go.

This has also arrived from the US, my bedding block:

Looks to be great quality, and comes with very detailed installation instructions......very good service from the boys at Whidden Gunworks will not be doing anything with that till I have shot some groups to see what this gun can do out of the box first and till I have worked up some loads to get the best out of it, so it might be a while yet.

Looking at the instructions this V block seems to kill two birds with one stone, as when it is installed corretly it will also give the barrel a couple of millimeters more clarance in the stock, helping to float the barrel!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if I will do it myself, but I probably will when the time comes.

I have a .222 that I been using to hunt rabbits, hares, foxes and feral goats, have not done much pig huntimng as such, but would have a shot with the .222 if the opportunity arises.

I recently got my Game Hunting Licence, allowing me to hunt all of the above on crown/public land.....most of my hunting has been done on private properties.

So now I want to get into some pig hunting as well as deer of all varieties. So I feel the 308 is a bit more gun, the minimum caliber allowed for deer hunting in Australia is 243, so I went for the 308, to give me some extra punch and range.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to the gun shop the day before yesterday and spend a few $$$ on getting my SPS going, there seems to be a shortage of 308 ammo in Australia at the moment, so rather than use factory ammo I decided to hand load from the outset.

There is not much stuff available over here at the moment, but this is what I ended up with anyway:

Winchester Brass:

Nosler Bullets:

Federal Primers:

And ADI AR2208 Powder (rebranded H-Varget)

I immediately loaded some rounds, with 43.5 grains, and 44 grains of powder, then I noted that the powder was getting compressed, so I started another thread to see what was going on :

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=563

Turned out all is well, and I loaded some 44.5 grain and 45 grain loads as well.

I headed to my local range today to sight the scope into the target and get an idea of how the handloads performed. Unfortunatly my local range is only 50 meters......but enough to give me a starting point for my handloads.

I fired 20 round down the range (5 of each load), and noted a definite preference for my gun....the 45 grain loads seemed to outperform the rest, so I will use them as a starting point of my fine tuning. I was quite happy with the results so far, love the Leupold scope as well, it is great, I actually love it so much I am considering one for my other rifle as well....

Please keep in mind that the groups were shot using a Harris bi pod, and no other support at all, if using a benchrest and sand bags results may have been better. All groups are 5 shots, at four targets, 20 shots all up today!

Here are the results so far:

The best group of the day:

I think with practice my groups will get better, this is the first time I have shot a 308 off the bench, previously only shot .22 magnum and .222 Remington off the bench, so will have to get used to the recoil, as the other rifles I have ownerd never had recoil to speak off.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
thats a real good group looks around .5 MOA :D

now load up a few of the same loads that shot that good group and try some more and see what happens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You won't believe it, but I have been extremely busy with work and life that I have not even looked at the SPS till a few days ago.

Have ordered from the good old USA some Leupold Alumina flip up lens covers and a 2 1/2" Leupold extention tube/shade,

Here in Australia they wanted $185 for the flip up covers and $69 for the shade, picked the covers up for $79, and the shade for $30....with our $$$ being equal it was a great saving, they should be here early 2011, they were posted 22nd December 2010:D

Will update some photos and hoping to get to the range early next year to fire some more handholds, will keep you guys updated when the stuff arrives and post some new photos.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have not dropped in here for a while, been very very busy with life in general and paying for life ;)

Have received my Leupold Alumina flip up lens covers and a 2 1/2" Leupold extention tube/shade, have also bought a B Square scope level, I think the scope level is a bit of a wank factor, but I still like the look of it :D

Have not fitted my bedding block yet, but have decided to get a gun smith to fit it as I do not really feel confident doing it, will get a price for it soon.

Here is my stuff that I had ordered from the USA:

The new look SPS with the new accessories fitted:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dropped the SPS of at my local gun smith yesterday.

Will have the alloy bedding block fitted as well as a muzzle brake installed.

This should be it once I get the rifle back, the gun smith is very busy and it will be a 4-6 week turn around, looking forward to getting it back :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the call yesterday that my SPS is all done and ready :D

Will pick it up early next week, and will get some updated pictures up, hope it's all good!!!

Spoke to the gun smith about the stock, and he did not recommend changing it, saying now that it's bedded properly it will be fine, when I questioned him about the flex he said,"people worry too much, the stock is only a handle, it will be fine."

Can not wait to get it back and have a range trip!!!

A tactical bolt handle is $120 fitted, so might get that done soon as well as a final finishing touch to the SPS Tactical!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok Picked her up today, and the alloy bedding block is fitted, barrel floated correctly, have also had the muzzle brake fitted and bought a new bipod dedicated to the SPS, so the other bipod can go back on to the .222 Ruger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts