Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably beating my a dead horse here...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Axiom-UL-Rifle-Stock,220,166.htm

picked this up to convert a ADL Varmint 223 to a BDL model with floating barrel....

wondered if anyone has perhaps done this?
am I crazy?
few people where I'm from thinks i need to step up the caliber instead of messing with the 223.

feedback please, all comments welcome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jasonbourne said:
If funds are available by a .308 and compare for your self! :). On a side know my logic is when in doubt by another one. :)

trust me this has crossed my mind....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Like JFComfort said .223 will teach you how to read wind. If you want power you will be better with the .308

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looking to put together a tack driver that might be good out to 300 yrds max...i do a little hunting and want a versitle boom stick.
I have the 223 already got a pretty good deal on it.
thinking about getting a reloader and learn to reload my own ...to try diff loads and save money somewhat too.

i don't have anywhere I can shoot 1000 yrds....i was actually told today that I wouldn't notice the diff. between a 223 and 22-250 i was looking at?...thought yeah right...250 has lot more fps...

What i am wanting to do..is this
mount my 223 Varmint on my axiom U/L stock...which at this time it will convert to BDL...mount up a 50mm scope...bi-pod..
this stock the barrel is complete free float set up too....down the road i would like to find a gunsmith in my area that can mount a badger ord. bolt knob...

thanks for the comments keep them coming...

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy the .223. If you start to load your own, you can load some heavier grain match bullets to make it the "ultimate" tack driver.

Here's some reading material I just posted not to long ago about getting started with reloading that you may be interested in looking at: http://700rifle.com/reloading-getting-started.php

I posted 3 YouTube videos on that page as well... he goes through a lot of stuff with reloading and getting setup!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@SemperFI

thanks for the advice and the info on reloading....that posting nails it to a tee.

friend of mine trying to convince me to go bigger...basically I don't want what everyone elses has...i figure i can try out the Axiom stock to see if i like..if I don't look for something elses, in Hogue or ramline or other aftermarket...
the axiom stock i like becasue of the adjustable stock...can throw on a cheek piece through black hawk, and i think it will be awesome. :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to let those reading this thread i did the switch....

Knoxx Axiom stock...BDL set up....4x16x50mm scope..REM Intergral scope mounts...harris bi-pod....

need to post pic asap ffor ur approvals or (dis)

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tried posting...no candy yet...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the SPS Tactical AAC-SD in .308 and just bought the Knoxx Axiom U/L short action stock and would like to add detachable box magazine. Has anyone had any luck with a DBM and bottom metal kit that fits this stock? I bought (and just returned) M5 Stealth DM M24 Detachable Magazine System - Remington 700 (Funnel or Flush Models) *New Upgraded Mil-Spec Platform* (H.P. White Tested) from Stocky's Stocks as suggestions from other boards indicated their products might work. It does not. Almost, but only if I do a little grinding on the stock in corners, which I'm not willing to do for fear of weakening the stock. Stocky's specifically said not to alter the stock to make the part fit! (Funny thing is that the bottom metal came closer to fitting this stock than it does with the Remington stock that came with the rifle--not even close.)

Anyway, before I spend hundreds more dollars failing at this, has anyone had any luck fitting a DBM to this SA stock? If so, which model?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts