Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bore cleaner is awesome. I've used Sweets, Hoppes, and Butch's. This is some nasty shit but it get's the job done fast. If you try it, be sure to follow the directions and not let it sit in your barrel for more than 15 minutes. I didn't wipe it out good enough after cleaning my 700 the other day and looked down the bore today and gobs of rust were formed. So some oily patches were in order and now she looks like new.

Don't be worried, Barnes had a barrel dunked in this poison for 18 months and it caused no harm so it won't hurt your bore, believe it or not.

dom

·
Registered
795 Posts
I use Butch's for more of the "general" type cleaning. I'll have to check out the Barnes Stuff. Does this stuff also work for removing copper better than Sweet's 7.62?

I've been using Sweet's for removing copper from my barrel... so far I've had good luck with that!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mmm, I might try some of that barnes stuff. Is it expensive compared to the sweets and hoppes??

·
Registered
795 Posts
It looks to be relatively priced the same according to the Midway USA site.

There prices for each product:

• Barnes CR-10 - $8.99 (8 oz.)[/*]
  • Sweet's 7.62 - $9.09 (200 ml about 8 oz.?)[/*]
  • Hoppes #9 - $7.59 ( 16 oz.)[/*]

I guess the Hoppes is probably a little cheaper, but it probably isn't as strong as the Barnes or Sweet's.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Anybody know if the Barnes stuff loses any strength if it gets old? I just cleaned the bores on my .25-06 and .35 Whelen with Barnes, then hit it with Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner, and still had some blue on the patches.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think it probably would loose strength if you left the cap off for an extended period of time. Some of the cleaning agents would probably evaporate I think.

How old is the Barnes stuff you are using? One thing that would cause to loose strength for sure would just be contamination, if you are dipping dirty patches directly into the bottle or something. You are probably not doing that, but thought I would mention that on the side. :)

Do you get a lot of copper build up? I'm just wondering if you maybe need to just keep using the bore cleaning and the foaming stuff until it's all gone?

I've been using Sweet's for my copper removal, and it takes a few patches to get "most" of it out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nah, the bottle I have has one of those caps that allow you to drip cleaner onto a patch, so contamination/evaporation is not an issue. Excessive fouling shouldn't be a problem either, as these were mostly just used for hunting, so a couple of shots down the bore each year to check zero is all they were getting. The bottle made the trip to Colorado Springs and back with me, so it's at least 8 years old.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty old. Not sure if it would weaken at that age or not. Probably replacing it with some new stuff wouldn't hurt after that long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I promise you guys once you try this stuff, you'll give away all of your other cleaning solvents, I did.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=155799

This stuff isn't nasty at all. In fact it's totally odorless and non toxic as well as being bio degradable. It works unbelievably well. When I got it I tried it on a few of my barrels I thought were clean. The patches came out instantly green! It will not hurt or etch a barrel regardless of how long you leave it in. Bore Tech Eliminator is now all I use on all of my barrels. Nothing I have tried, and I've tried 'em all, works as well, as fast, or as safe. Bill T.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm definately going to get some of this and try it out. I like the idea of non-toxic. I usually where those white latext gloves when cleaning a gun any way... it's like I'm going in for surgery! :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those are some impressive traits for the bore tech eliminator. I'll have to try it once my supply of cr-10 is deplinished.

dom

·
Registered
181 Posts
SemperFi said:
I usually where those white latext gloves when cleaning a gun any way... it's like I'm going in for surgery!
Last edited by SemperFi (Today 5:07: AM)
"Nurse! Bore guide, stat!"

·
Registered
639 Posts
Lol. Nice one mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used Barnes CR-10 to cure my .280 Remington. It was shooting left of target, right of target, vertical stringing. I was about to replace the barrel. Once I used it to remove copper from the barrel its driving tacks again. Shot a 10 shot group at 100 yards that averaged 1.349 inches. I highly recommend it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts