Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen on here some talk about this and was wanting to know on a 270wsm how many rounds does it take. This is a hunting rifle and not shot a lot. The rifle is a cdl model not that it makes a differance. The load is 130gr win bt.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
143 Posts
k80 said:
Have seen on here some talk about this and was wanting to know on a 270wsm how many rounds does it take. This is a hunting rifle and not shot a lot. The rifle is a cdl model not that it makes a differance. The load is 130gr win bt.:rolleyes:
Probably more than you will ever shoot from a hunting rifle. Barrel burnout and it's affect on accuracy depends on what you expect
from the rifle. If you are a benchrest shooter who expects one hole groups then it's burned up long before a hunter who needs minute
of vitals. The 270 wsm is a screamer and would certainly burn out long before a 308 or a 30-06 or the like. However there are a lot of
factors that determine barrel life. How you clean it and how hot you get it are probably the two biggest factors. If you handload, shooting
max loads will do it quicker as well. If it's a hunting rifle that gets a few sight in or practice shots before the season starts and maybe a few
during the hunting season, I doubt you would notice a decrease in hunting accuracy in your lifetime. I don't know, but taking a guess, if you set out to burn it up three or four hundred continuous rounds would do it. I would tell you shoot your rifle and enjoy it, if you are lucky enough to shoot out a barrel replace it and keep going.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Exactly what Badkarma said. If you want 1/4 inch groups, you'll probably burn it out in 1000 rounds or so if you take care of it. If you want deer hunting accuracy, your grand son will probably be able to keep using it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts