Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered one of these a few days ago. I think a few of our members have them. The reviews are pretty good. Any specific info on installation or bedding that I might need to know?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
They should be just take the old stock off and put the new B&C on. Now if you want bedding I believe that its like the HS you will have to skim bed the stock to the action.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the plan. I've heard about how to do it a couple of different ways, but I haven't personally done one. I know a couple guys who can help but if I get .5 MOA just throwing it on there, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put mine on yesterday and it was a piece of cake. Popped of the Hogue stock dropped the B&C on. Torqued the bolts to 50 in/lbs (back one first) and done. Happy as a pig in pooh. :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hey paladin check the how to section I think I posted two posts one for skim bedding with pics and one for taking apart a 700 basically with videos on youtube :D might be of some help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Medalist A5 and I can't get it to fit. I had to dremel out a little material in the front of the magazine well to get my bottom metal to fit. Now the hardware fits, but the pillars aren't lined up. They look like they're mounted to far back, by about 1/4". I called Bell and Carlson and they had me send the stock back to have it remade.
I received the stock in the mail the other day, and it looks like they just took a drill and keyholed the rear pillar. Which, of course, didn't help at all.
I don't understand why it would fit their action and not mine. If it fit their action, why did they drill the pillar? If it didn't fit their action, they wouldn't have sent it back to me (I hope).
Regardless, I have to call them tomorrow and attempt to figure it out. I am getting tired of paying to ship the damn thing back and forth, just to keep having the same problem.

So, I guess how easy it fits depends on your rifle? Or maybe it depends on getting one that has properly placed pillars so the action screws can pass through. I would hope their Quality Assurance is better than that...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are you sure you didn't buy a long action stock and have a short action receiver? There's 7/8" of a difference in where the screws are.

Or could it be when you installed the bottom metal you went too far forward? With most of the DBMs they have extra material on the back and the front.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Etkini,

I know that I bought the long action, and that's what the invoice says they sent me. I have the 338LM and I think those only come in a LA model. The distance from the center of one pillar to the other matches the distance from the center on one action-screw hole to the other. If I had the wrong action length, I think this would have been affected. Maybe not, I really don't know. But I do know that the top part of the assembly, the barreled action itself, lines up with the holes just fine.

You're right, when I installed the bottom metal I had to dremel the front and the back. I tried to do both evenly as best I could. The problem is that even if I kept removing material from the rear, the BM wouldn't sit far enough back. There's an aluminum brace in the magazine well that runs perpendicular to the stock. This brace is a piece of the stock. The only way I can see to line it all up would be to grind down that aluminum brace. I don't want to do that as I feel it would negatively affect the structural integrity of the the stock as a whole by allowing undue flex. Why would they put it there if it didn't help, right?

I spoke with B&C again today and let them know that it still wouldn't fit. They were very confused and requested that I return the stock, again, along with a very detailed description of the problem. I told them that I'll send the stock, a detailed description, email them pictures, and even include my bottom metal assembly so that they can try it themselves. Hopefully this will provide for a complete understanding of the problem and a solution. I can only hope...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a B&C Tactical Medalist A2 myself, however short action. When I installed my DBM kit, I did have to remove some of the front of that aluminum brace, and I removed all of the fiberglass that was underneath it to get my DBM kit (AtlasWorx, slightly different but based off the Badger DBM). It took a lot of messing with and checking, and double checking from every side possible.

In the end, with my stock at least, I needed to take somewhere around 1/10-1/8" off every surface on the underside in order to get the DBM to line up.

As for flex, it's an aluminum block, that sucker is THICK. My assumption is that bar\brace is really just to support both the trigger housing and the stock magazine well. If it wasn't there they could possibly shift around. Since the DBM is longer than the stock magazine well, I wouldn't be so worried about taking a few hairs off it if it helps to line it up, it'll still be in contact with the rear of the DBM kit and the trigger housing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I felt a little better about grinding down that aluminum brace after reading your post, so I thought I'd give it a shot. So after a lot of dremel work and, let's be honest, some whiskey...I got the screws to go through the pillars and reach the action. I still have some fine-tuning to do though. The front screw drops right in, but the rear needs a little pushing and wiggling. If I tighten the front screw down first, then I can't get the rear screw in. But I can do the rear first and the front still drops in freely. I don't like that and I plan to break out the dremel again soon to correct the issue. I might need to get more Chivas first to keep my "confidence" in check.
Thanks for the advice, Etkini! Guess I better call B&C and let them know I won't be returning the stock again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it's worth, guys, I didn't have to do anything on mine (Rem 700 SA) and it fit just fine... if not a little tight at first. Hope it works out for you. The stock, a Tactical Medalist, has treated me great so far.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah... probably just over .5 MOA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts