Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 700 sps varmit and when I'm just shooting or sighting in I use remington 150 grain core lock bullets and when I hunt I have 168 grain hornady ammo. I am using this rifle for coyote hunting and know .308 is a little over kill but bought the gun for a stellar deal that I couldn't say no to. But was currious what everyone else was using and how consistent other ammo was as far as factory loads go?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have not shot any factory ammo yet in my 700p. I have shot some of my own reloads and love the perfomance of the 168gr Match bullets I have cooked up with the 8208XBR. I have only shot out to 100m but soon I plan on going on to longer distances, 300-600m. I am looking to set up some 175gr bullets for the longer ranges.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I know the 168gr is more than enough for those distances that's from factory loads go. I've been reading the ballistics charts and learning about the ammo but was curious bout what peoples experiences have been.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Desertdog what amount of the 8208 XBR powder are you running in the reloads? I have some of that powder and looking for a good accurate load. I am finishing up on prepping 100 new Winchester casings. I have annealed the necks, neck sized, trimmed to length and deburred the flash holes. I normally use 43g of Reloader 15 with outstanding results, but I have been told that this new stuff is remarkable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
308isgreat said:
Hey Desertdog what amount of the 8208 XBR powder are you running in the reloads? I have some of that powder and looking for a good accurate load. I am finishing up on prepping 100 new Winchester casings. I have annealed the necks, neck sized, trimmed to length and deburred the flash holes. I normally use 43g of Reloader 15 with outstanding results, but I have been told that this new stuff is remarkable.
I started out with 40gr with the 168 gr HPBT Match and Rem cases, I didnt Crony the first few rounds but I will the next time I shoot and post up the #'s.

I think Im loading the next lot with 41 gr just to see how that works out. I dont have my OAL for this rifle yet so I went with the COAL @ 2.800. I have my OAL gage coming soon so Im sure the COAL will be different, wondering how grps will change once I do that?

·
Registered
403 Posts
desertdog said:
308isgreat said:
I started out with 40gr with the 168 gr HPBT Match and Rem cases, I didnt Crony the first few rounds but I will the next time I shoot and post up the #'s.

I think Im loading the next lot with 41 gr just to see how that works out. I dont have my OAL for this rifle yet so I went with the COAL @ 2.800. I have my OAL gage coming soon so Im sure the COAL will be different, wondering how grps will change once I do that?
Good deal! I think I will start at 40g and work up 2 tenths of a grain each 5 rounds and see how the powder performs.....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really can't afford reloading my ammo right now so looks like I'm using factory ammo so can someone give me some personal experiences with factory ammo name brand , grain ect....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
sportsmanswarehouse.com has the 168 FGMM for about 20.00 buck not bad at all. Also they shoot really well from a 1-12 .308 barrel.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I bought some 147 grain 7.62 for 14$ a box from my gun supplier so pretty happy with that. Shoot pretty good to just that they are Full metal jacket bullets

·
Registered
2 Posts
O.E.F_M.P said:
I really can't afford reloading my ammo right now so looks like I'm using factory ammo so can someone give me some personal experiences with factory ammo name brand , grain ect....
hi there. i have been using both Remington accutips and Hornady V-Max bullets in my .270win. both are ballistic tips and i have been wrapped with them. i use to use core-loks but not any more, i never will again. you pay more for the ballistics but they are worth it. how have you found it using 2 different bullets between sighting in and actual hunting?

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^^^^ I'll give it up for Remington ammo also. But I use the Core-Lokt 190's in my .300WM. I can't reload anymore because I'm in a tiny little apartment. Factory loads can never match hand loads, BUT they are getting really, really good.

And the .308 is not overkill for coyote - you can just take them out with one shot waaaaaay out there.

Remington Core-Lokt, 190gr

·
Registered
123 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
..... Also they shoot really well from a 1-12 .308 barrel.
Indeed they do!

·
Registered
173 Posts
B0BK4T said:
I can't reload anymore because I'm in a tiny little apartment.
I live in a small apartment and I'm able to reload.. :)

Look at the Skil X-Bench from Lowe's...$35. I use it as is by not putting those red clamps in and moving the two work surfaces together. Puts the press almost center on the legs, and the 3/4" top it came with holds up good..drilled holes and threw some carriage bolts through them. Take a 1/4" sheet of pine/oak/steel/acrylic/whatever you have and make a shelf on the bottom, and you're good to go. Takes up maybe 2.5-3 feet each way, and this thing is sturdy.

As far as factory ammunition, mine likes FMMG 168s, Hornady Superformance 150s, and the Ultramax blue box bulk 168s. They're SMK 168s and Lake City brass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 5R Milspec and have shot 168s with sub .5" groups and some M118 reloads from cheaper than dirt with the same results ( My dad and I are trying to figure a M118 load out now) BUT for hunting and really target shooting I have been very impressed with Sierra's 165gr BTHP Game King the load we have for that is pretty awesome. Store bought stuff I've had good luck with Hornady's 168 Match and Amax rounds. Also how do you like your varmint I'm looking into buying one cause #1 I'm a lefty and #2 I would like to do a budget build with this rifle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK Have some info on my 8208XBR powder, I crony'd on my last outing and got avg. of 2650 fps. with 40.0 grs. Ill post up some more on my larger loads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts