Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After reading about all of the benefits of reloading, I'm in the process of trying to decide which kits or individual components would best suit my needs. I know there are a lot of decent manufacturers out there, but based on what I've researched, it seems that Forster, Redding, and RCBS get the best reviews.
I'm looking for precision over quantity, and will be loading rifle calibers from .223 to 7mm STW.

Should I look at a complete kit, or get the best components from a variety of brands?

Thanks for any info to get me started.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been using RCBS equipment for over 30 years and it has not let me down yet.I have had all the other brands through the years but RCBS still is #1 with me!I load from .22 to 50BMG.All the problems i have encountered with RCBS was actually caused by ME!The excellent technical support at RCBS has been a tremendous help through the years.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I also use mostly RCBS that I bought back in the 1960's. I'm slowly switching over to Redding S type dies in my long range guns. They can help control neck tension better than the RCBS dies.

None of the kits will have everything you need, but they are a pretty good start. I find a lot of stuff at gun shows and garage sales.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My brother just got a RCBS kit from Cabelas that includes the Rockchucker press. It has the major stuff but you will still have to get some smaller items

·
Registered
190 Posts
RBoomK said:
Hi Guys,

After reading about all of the benefits of reloading, I'm in the process of trying to decide which kits or individual components would best suit my needs. I know there are a lot of decent manufacturers out there, but based on what I've researched, it seems that Forster, Redding, and RCBS get the best reviews.
I'm looking for precision over quantity, and will be loading rifle calibers from .223 to 7mm STW.

Should I look at a complete kit, or get the best components from a variety of brands?

Thanks for any info to get me started.
try the lyman crusher series, more for your money and extremly well built,been using one for 30+
years,comes with a slick case trimmer that the others charge extra for ! you can use anyones
dies etc.never had a problem.cost is about80.00 to 100.00 less than rcbs rockchucker kit.
I started with the rcbs rockchucker kit ,lost interest and sold it after a year or so.couple years
later bought the lyman, did not notice any diffference in quality or function,but the case trimmer
was easier to use.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got the RCBS Rockchucker supreme master reloading kit (purchased from Cabelas) to get started last year. I love it. No problems. I'll second reloader on RCBS's tech support.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought a complete LEE kit when I started out. The powder thrower and scales were not very good.
I replaced those two items with RCBS stuff and have not regretted it. I would tell you if your buying
a complete kit spend the money and by the RCBS Rock Chucker kit with the better components. That's
probably where you will end up anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any thing but a Lee thay are cheep! Go look at stores thay will have RCBS Hornady Dillon set up to look at but almost never a Lee. I got lucky and found a hand picked out set up. Its mostly
RCBS

rcbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
while i still consider myself new to reloading ,, little more than a year :p ,,, i started with the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit
and its been wonderfull to say the least,,, its everything that i need to roll my own . 30/06,, 270wsm,, 7mm-08,, 243,, even the 9mm but those take awhile on a single stage press :rolleyes: also RCBS has a wonderfull customer service,, i had some problems with one of the ought 6 dies so i called them and they sent a brand new one no questions asked ,, you dont see that kinda service much anymore,,, i dont think you can go wrong with the RCBS brand,, good luck on what ever you decide :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
i started out with a used lyman kit the one with the turret press. i have since replaced that kit with all rcbs equipment. i prefer the rcbs over the lyman, but they are both quality made. i use mostly hornady dies. i also have some rcbs dies, but prefer the hornady. it is just a preference really. either dies are great for loading. i just think the hornady are more user friendly. natchez shooters supplies usually offer decent prices on kits. www.natchezss.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
the rcbs rock chucker supreme is about the best as far as quality and price go. i use the rock chucker with lee dies only and love the lee pacesetter die set. it comes with a lee factory crimp die and all you need as far as dies go. the crimp die has shrunk the groups on all the different calibers that i do for myself and other customers. only thing i dont like is the rockchucker toggles over or cams over on the end of the stroke, so i just turn the die in about 1/2 a turn in. sometimes less sometimes a little more. been thinking about getting a lee cast single stage press because of that. to use as an extra station.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I am new to reloading, but the hornady lock and load kit has made it pretty easy for me. It's not the cheapest but I like the fact that their customer service will spend as much time on the phone with you discussing everything and anything about reloading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a RCBS Rockchucker (the newer one) LEE turret press and a dillon 550. you would think i would use the dillon progressive I bought it it costs more, so I will like it! I may use the LEE or Dillon for pistol reloading but I always fall back on the Rockchucker for my rifle cartridges, it is strong has more leverage then you will ever need, even for case forming, and it has good feel and precession I know Lee gets the stink eye but they are not bad if you are reloading for hunting or pinking and I love their factory crimp die. I bought all my reloading components separately and spent way to much money The RCBS Master reloading kit would be the way to go now if I was just starting out. Good Luck and have fun with one of the few hobbies that makes shooting more fun

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello i am new to reloading and starting out i already ordered two reloading manuals and books, a hornandy lock and load auto progressive press, 45/70 dies, crimping die, and all the other goodies I will need I will be loading mainly for my Marlin 45/70 22'' Government rifle which I also just purchased ,for target and Deer hunting. My question is I was told by one of the forums on the net to start with this Load and use the following items 1.Note: (In the beginning use this loads to gain experience) This is a good hunting load. Use IMR 3031 Powder (Smokeless Powder) Just buy one pound for now. Use 350 grain jacketed bullets (Hornady, etc.) Just buy one box for now. Use Winchester WLR Primers (Large Rifle) I'd use the load of 56.1 grains of the IMR 3031 powder producing a Muzzle Velocity of 1900 fps, I like either Remington or Hornady brass. Now this is what i came up with.
IMR Smokeless Powder in/Plastic Jug IMR 3031 1LB, 1 of 21-4914 Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets 45/70 350 GR RS, 1 of 21-7786 REMINGTON RIFLE PER50 UNPRIMED BRASS 45-70 GOVT , 744614Winchester Large Rifle Primers. as you can see I went all out to get started I guess you can say i got the reloading bug anyways my question is will the items i purchased work for reloading for my rifle, the casings with the powder and the bullets with the casings and the primers with the casings and will the load that i was told work with all of this with-out damaging my new gun or exspecially myself. Sorry this is so long but all in all I shelled out over 1200 dollars so far including the gun so I want to make sure I so it right the first time Thanks rickey retired US Army 2010. If not please tell me what will and how to get it

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
As I posted I have no load data for your setup. Check out reloadersnest.

Someone on here might know how to help you, bu if you keep flooding the forum with the same question, you might find it hard to get help. Give people on here time to log on and read the post. I'm not trying to come off as a [email protected]&k but 1 post is plenty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a dillon 650, the price has come down since we (my father and i) purchased it. When i say that i wont buy anything but dillon for reloading now, i mean it. You might pay double what you would pay somewhere else, However everytime i call i talk to same person.
- THey have a no Bull**** warranty (their words). i Broke a decapping die, they sent me 24 more and said when i run out, let them know.
- Being a progressive, you have 1 pull per station, after the last stage out pops a round, Each and everytime.
- The machine is rock solid, they have built everything you could want for it.
- Their dies are top notch.
- I can reload 1000 rounds of 45 in an hour
- What other reloading company makes the minigun for the military?
ha!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts