Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody, i am new here and looking for some help. i just bought a remington 700 sps tactical aac-sd..it has the black hogue stock, not the ghillie green, it also has a muzzle break on it. I was on a budget so i put a swift 8x32x50 on it ( i have a swift on my 30-06 for hunting and love it, it hits quarters every time at 100 yards) so i feel comfortable with swift. For the rings and base i put DNZ game reaper scope mount (solid piece) on it. But I have been shooting 100 yards with both federal 150 grain and winchester 180 grain, and i can not get it to group better than 4 inches. I dont know what the problem can be, it is about 90 to 95 while shooting with horrible humidity, and no wind. if you have any other questions to ask that i didnt cover then let me know, i appreciate any help. thanks yall

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
From what your describing to me, it seems like you bought a used rifle. If so, did you ask the original owner about accuracy or load data?

Im not too sure about the optic/bases your using, but if it works on a 30-06 there should be no problem at all with a .308. Im in Florida and your weather conditions seems to be just like mine. Try using 168 FGMM or 175 FGMM. Another alternative are the 165 Winchester Ballistic Silver tips. All three of those got my AAC at or better than MOA at a 100YDS out a stock AAC.

My two main concerns would be,

1. Is it the proper stock? (i.e. does it fit true, the original came with the ghillie green one)
2. what type of muzzle break? (if its a timed break, and you removed it then put it back on it could have thrown you off)

Are you shooting off a bipod, bench rest, support bag?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't used..it was brand new in the remington box with stickers and tags all attached from my local dealer. Im not sure if it is a timed muzzle break? i honestly dont know what that means though, i have not taken it off but should i take it off and try that? i also put the scope and rings on myself with out any measurement tools, i usually have my dealer put them on and i never have any problems. so maybe that is the problem. any other ideas? im really hoping its not a lemon

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would bet it is either the scope or mount/rings. However, I don't recall an SPS Tactical AAC-SD with black stock and muzzle break. Can you remove the muzzle break and try again? I would still put my money on the scope/mount/rings. You sure the mount is still on tight?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed today that Bud's is selling the 700 SPS Tactical ACC-SD with black Hogue stocks. I'm guessing that they ran out of stock or are discontinuing the green stocks. I would rather have the black one, myself. Are you sure that you have a muzzle brake and it is not the thread protector that you are looking at?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is what i am thinking..im hoping it is just the mounting of the scope but im taking it to the dealer tomorrow to put it on and then ill know. and yes im and pretty sure it is a muzzle brake although on this site it says flash hider so im not 100% sure here is a picture of the gun..not mine but the same kind. and it is hard to see what it looks like. http://www.gunsamerica.com/97880525...l-700/Tactical/700_SPS_Tactical_AAC_SD_30.htm and here is the exact piece that is on it http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=493..and i think it can be taken off but it seems to be on almost to tight. i put a rag over it with channel locks and my brother held it and the gun was twisting and it still wouldnt budge..maybe use more force :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pepper said:
I noticed today that Bud's is selling the 700 SPS Tactical ACC-SD with black Hogue stocks. I'm guessing that they ran out of stock or are discontinuing the green stocks. I would rather have the black one, myself. Are you sure that you have a muzzle brake and it is not the thread protector that you are looking at?
Maybe they decided to reduce costs and go with a single color since they know that most people change stocks on is gun to one with better bedding. There is a Hogue overmold stock that has aluminum block bedding so I don't know why they use the cheaper pillar bedded stock except to save a few dollars. I sold my SPS Tactical and bought a 700P; I was going to change the stock on the Tactical but at the end of the day I would have more $$ tied up in it than a stock 700P.

·
Registered
277 Posts
DFA1322 said:
that is what i am thinking..im hoping it is just the mounting of the scope but im taking it to the dealer tomorrow to put it on and then ill know. and yes im and pretty sure it is a muzzle brake although on this site it says flash hider so im not 100% sure here is a picture of the gun..not mine but the same kind. and it is hard to see what it looks like. http://www.gunsamerica.com/97880525...l-700/Tactical/700_SPS_Tactical_AAC_SD_30.htm and here is the exact piece that is on it http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=493..and i think it can be taken off but it seems to be on almost to tight. i put a rag over it with channel locks and my brother held it and the gun was twisting and it still wouldnt budge..maybe use more force :/

Well, that is a flash hider, not a brake.

Don't worry about taking it off, it's not your problem. Unless there is a defect in your rifle's build process (not likely, it's possible just not probable) it's probably going to end up being the rings and or scope mounting.

It almost certainly has to do with your mouning process. Take it in and let the smith set it up for you. He can square your optic/base/rings up and even lap the rings if need be.

If you have several scopes with main tubes that are 30mm you may want to see Larry over at MidWay USA and get one of his scope lapping kits - around $40 or so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright thanks guys..im taking it to the smith today so hopefully ill bring it back and itll be ok if not ill still be asking questions haha

·
Registered
277 Posts
good luck! Pics when it's done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well took it to the gun smith and they put it on for me..i came back and shot only about 5 rounds just because in this weather the barrel seems to heat up so fast and i dont like shooting it while hot. the 5 shots grouped well so i came back today and shot a few more. i hit a dime sized target twice..practically putting the bullet in the same hole and then i had one that wondered so i dont know if that was me or what but i found when i put the shooting bags on the stock it doesnt shoot as well as when i put the front bag directly on the barrel. so i was wondering if any of yall know about the aluminum spacer? i forget the actual name but it goes in the stock to keep the barrel free floating and sorry but no pics i dont have my camera right now

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are asking about the aluminum pillar bedding. The receiver is secured to the stock via the two large screws on the underside of the gun. Those screws go into aluminum pillars that, I believe, the plastic frame of the stock is molded to, then the Hogue over mold process takes place. Those two aluminum pillars provide two anchors for the receiver and the barrel free floats without touching the stock. That's intended for accuracy but it you rest the gun on bags you will notice the stock flexes and touches the barrel. I did not really find that to be a problem on that rifle. I better method of bedding is aluminum block bedding since the block is the size of the receiver, it is even better if the frame of the stock is aluminum which makes it much more rigid. This is the reason many people immediately replace the stock on the tactical.

I'm curious, when they mounted the base and scope did they have to domanything or did they just have to tighten everything? Was it loose at all when they started removing it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyway you could find me a good aluminum block bedding? and they didnt do anything special just took everything back off and redid everything. it is getting better and better in accuracy than it was..im gonna buy 20 more tomorrow and see how it does. ill keep yall informed and thanks for all the help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im thinking about getting a stock in the next few months and i cant decide which one. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=780128 or http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=293581..i like both the stocks and that have the aluminum bedding blocks in them. i can do any stock i have a thumbhole on my T/C encore and i love it but i just wanted yall advice, and also thinking about getting a Jewell trigger, they seem amazing and really can make a gun http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=706845..let me know what yall think

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not used a Jewell trigger yet but everybody seems to say it's the way to go, even more so than Timney Triggers. As far as stocks go you are on the right trail with the HS Precision stock (the first one you linked to for an ADL won't work with your rifle) but many like the Bell & Carlson stocks. There are several makers to choose from, just do your homework and make sure you get the right one (BDL, short action, heavy barrel).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha sorry about that i didnt even look at that. but i read alot of reviews and people said after putting that stock on it made their gun sub MOA which is what im looking for, well thats what everybody looks for. but besides those parts i cant really think of anything else. How do yall like bipods? any good ones to suggest?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Harris is definitely a good name in bipods.
I've had a Caldwell on one of mine for a while and it's really solid as well. Picked it up for $60 at Dick's, it's notched and is hinged. I've put it through some pretty good use and haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My SPS Tactical shot sub-MOA right out of the box, I probably should have kept it instead of selling and getting the 700P but I am very happy with the 700P as well. As fas as bipods, I bought a Harris for my 700P and it was about $120 since it one of the swivel models. I have a Caldwell on my AR, with swivel, and it was around $50 at Academy. The Harris is clearly the better of the two but for the price the Caldwell is excellent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts