700Rifle.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Remington 700 ADL Varmint 6.5 Creedmoor.
Purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24 X50 Scope

Any recommendations on a bipod for use prone or on bench? 7-13” or 6-9”
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For bench 6-9" and for prone 7-13"

If you don't mind me asking, do also shoot off front & rear sand bags from the bench too ?

Nice grab on the 700 ADL in the 6.5, they have flown off the shelves and have not seen many left.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
There are some great F Class type bipods primarily for prone, but usable on a bench. The more exotic ones are expensive. Hard to been an adjustable Harris.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mayor,
Thanks. I was looking at bags also but, the weight to carry around is an issue I think if I’m not at a range.
Was thinking Bipod to cut down pack weight.
Not many 6.5 available for sure. I had to wait for them to ship from another store.
Now trying to find ammo is another issue. Back ordered everywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,
Thanks. I was hoping for an adjustable 7 - 13 and use for prone and bench. Harris makes great stuff but, $300 for a bipod is crazy. I am not a pro. Just looking for something good and reasonably priced.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
There are some less expensive Harris Pi-Pods. There is a dealer out here who is closing down. I bought and adjustable Harris from him for about $85.00. Want me to check if he has any more? He had more when I bought mine.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Also, give Bob White a call at "The Shooters Corner" he usually has both new and used ones in stock at good prices. He is the Benchrest / F-Class Go to Guy I use the most.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
The lower end Harris are fine and even the non pivoting Caldwell will suffice.

Reactions: Stogher

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mayor,
Thanks. I was looking at bags also but, the weight to carry around is an issue I think if I’m not at a range.
Was thinking Bipod to cut down pack weight.
Not many 6.5 available for sure. I had to wait for them to ship from another store.
Now trying to find ammo is another issue. Back ordered everywhere.
I use Harris while hunting prone, sand bags on the bench as more stable than BiPod and shooting sticks for coyotes as not one type/size fits all. While Harris are also pricey never found pivoting Bipods that user friendly but that's just me.

I've seen 6.5 Creed 4 sale while prices are just crazy and won't end soon. If you don't me asking this question, are going to "fire" lap the barrel?

While this forum classifieds are not utilized; some forums restrict access to have certain number of posts to eliminate scammers. This forum does have enough members and viewers puzzled why its not more active.

I've noticed forum classifieds are more active resource for shooters to sell no longer needed shooting items as demand high while store shelves remain bare.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
We have not put any restrictions for members to list private items for sale. Our Commercial Vendors and a set of rules to follow.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I’m leaning towards bags as a cheaper alternative for now. After the holidays I intent to zero my scope and do some steel targets at 100-300 yards to see how it goes.
Since we are snowed in and deer season is open, some ranges are closed so, hoping for mid January to get out there.
I was considering hand lapping to save ammo if its even needed. Remington 700 are supposed to be pretty good I thought.
I cannot find any available 6.5 Creedmore. I am on many “notify when available” online sellers.
If I could find ammo with lower velocity, I’m sure “fire” lapping would save time but consume 20 or so rounds.
Cabelas had my rifle in stock in a few stores.
Ill have a look at the forums classifieds. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks mayor.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
His shop is at his home in Lake Haupachan New Jersey. He also runs a Benchrest Clinic and Seminar at Cherry Ridge Gun Club as well as a Summer League there and a Winter League at Mid-Jersey Gun Club. He is a great shooter, a great guy in general, a great smith and has lots of stuff.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
All my custom barrels are cut rifling and hand lapped and neither manufacturer of the ones I use suggests any barrel break in. On a new barrel, I clean it, wet it, put three fouling shots through it and start shooting it. I do clean more thoroughly in the beginning, once every 5 shots than after that once every rotation (5, 10 or 20 rounds) or after 20 rounds.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All my custom barrels are cut rifling and hand lapped and neither manufacturer of the ones I use suggests any barrel break in. On a new barrel, I clean it, wet it, put three fouling shots through it and start shooting it. I do clean more thoroughly in the beginning, once every 5 shots than after that once every rotation (5, 10 or 20 rounds) or after 20 rounds.

Bob
Thanks Bob,
I'm shopping for a good cleaning kit and I should be done. (way over budget!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
His shop is at his home in Lake Haupachan New Jersey. He also runs a Benchrest Clinic and Seminar at Cherry Ridge Gun Club as well as a Summer League there and a Winter League at Mid-Jersey Gun Club. He is a great shooter, a great guy in general, a great smith and has lots of stuff.

Bob
When I get out there and get my bearings straight, I will give him a call. Maybe do a rifle class. I have only fired hand guns at the ranges over the last 3-4 years. Have not fired a rifle in 35 years!!

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
I keep a one piece Dewy Rod in each of my rifle cases. I have a dedicated one for each caliber. Also have a bore guide for each of my actions. Keeps cleaning fluid out of the trigger and at the same time protects the chamber against aggressive cleaning.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I keep a one piece Dewy Rod in each of my rifle cases. I have a dedicated one for each caliber. Also have a bore guide for each of my actions. Keeps cleaning fluid out of the trigger and at the same time protects the chamber against aggressive cleaning.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the info again!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts