Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win with 26" barrel, non-ISS bolt, and X-pro trigger. I decided on some accurizing work- lapping scope rings and bolt logs, lapping an 11 degree inner crown, and replacing the firing pin and spring with Tubb. I also polished the cocking piece and ramp.

The good thing is that it shoots better (best groups 1" at 300 yds, or .33 MOA). The bad thing is that the trigger pull got much heavier, and can't be adjusted below 5 lbs. with the in-guard adjustment (set at 2.5 lbs. before).

Headspace doesn't seem to have changed much, with fired Lapua brass reading .001 over datum (.003 under before firing). I didn't do anything with the trigger beyond remove and replace. When I hold the sear down with my finger the trigger releases with light pressure, but demands much more with the bolt.

I put the original pin and spring back, but that didn't help. What should I be looking at? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
First off welcome here :)

Personally for 130 I would get the Timney 510 trigger and call it a day. I have the Timney in two of my rifles and love them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning to buy a Timney or, more likely, a Jewell, but I need to find out why the pull suddenly increased on the stock set-up. Could bolt lapping have that effect? The trigger was removed before lapping and I cleaned the receiver thoroughly before putting it back.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Maybe a dirty trigger. Some firearm oil or cleaning products might of got into it and caused this.

·
Registered
526 Posts
modernhistorian said:
I am planning to buy a Timney or, more likely, a Jewell, but I need to find out why the pull suddenly increased on the stock set-up. Could bolt lapping have that effect? The trigger was removed before lapping and I cleaned the receiver thoroughly before putting it back.
The answer is yes. Lapping the bolt could change the geometry of the trigger / bolt engagement.

In my opinion, lapping bolt lugs is seldom a good idea. Done by itself, it serves little purpose and if everything is squared up properly in a lathe, it isn't needed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I had a lathe, that's what I would have done! Seriously, the bolt lapping did help noticeably. I cleaned the trigger with Q-tips and dust-off, so it is not dirt there. I have decided to get a Timney trigger and will post back here with results. Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
modernhistorian said:
If I had a lathe, that's what I would have done! Seriously, the bolt lapping did help noticeably. I cleaned the trigger with Q-tips and dust-off, so it is not dirt there. I have decided to get a Timney trigger and will post back here with results. Thanks.
What did it help? The purpose is to improve accuracy.

Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a rifle my son, who is on delayed enlistment in the USMC, is using to train as a marksman. (We also have an AR-15 with iron sights). His best groups went from 1 3/4 " at 300 yds. down to 1". There's no way to tell, of course, how much of the improved accuracy was due to bolt lapping, and how much to scope ring lapping and inner crown. We are pleased with the outcome, except for the heavier trigger pull. I hope the new trigger will fix that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed the Timney trigger and that did the trick- easily adjusted down to two lbs pull. I still don't understand why the original got heavy. We went out yesterday and fired 24 rounds at 300 yds. His best two 3-shot groups measured 1.25", his worst was 2.25". A definite improvement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
modernhistorian said:
This is a rifle my son, who is on delayed enlistment in the USMC, is using to train as a marksman. (We also have an AR-15 with iron sights). His best groups went from 1 3/4 " at 300 yds. down to 1". There's no way to tell, of course, how much of the improved accuracy was due to bolt lapping, and how much to scope ring lapping and inner crown. We are pleased with the outcome, except for the heavier trigger pull. I hope the new trigger will fix that.
Modern, Semper Fi Tell your son the Marines are what he makes of it, and above all have fun. He will do things there he will never again have the opportunity to do. In second phase of boot camp he will do more marksmanship training then he knows what to do with. Remember Natural point of aim, bone support, muscular relaxation and to squeeze the trigger during his natural respiratory pause.If he can quote this he will save himself allot of pushups. Oh also study his general orders. As you can tell I love hearing about new Marines Semper Fi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts