Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. i am new to this forum. i am wanting to build a custom 700? is this tough to do. i have built an ar10 in the past but have no experience in bolt action. do you think it is worth building one or am i better off buying a complete rifle and customizing it the way i want it? let me know what you think.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Granted I may be new to the forums (actually was saving my post cherry for when I get my rifle done up how I plan..three more days..) I'm certainly not new to any of this..so take my advice how you will.

It really all depends on what you want to do with it\your budget. If you're looking to squeeze every last drop of MOA out of the rifle, then starting with a stripped action is probably the way to go. Considering some places fetch in the $300-500 dollar range for a bare receiver assembly alone..you could buy an older rifle to strip.
If you're looking for something to punch holes in paper\hunt, it might be advisable to purchase a complete rifle (either used or new) and add\remove what you want to that.

Personally, I bought a used 700P, cut the barrel to 20" and went from there. All in all I've got maybe $1400 into it (granted I need better glass).

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you're talking about building it yourself, forget it. Unless you have a machine shop and lots of experience. To have one built runs around $3-5000,00. Depending on what you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or do like me, I picked one of these up from Wal-Mart and enjoyed shooting it while I saved some pennies.

Then after all was said and done, a few trips to my gunsmith, and $1500 later (includes the purchase of the rifle and optics) I have this

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
^^^ I would shoot the shit out of a SPS Tac before building a custom :) I would spend some money on a really decent scope you only have to buy once, and started a piggy bank for when you shoot the barrel out on the SPS Tac. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^^^ I agree with Jason and Win - SPS Tac.
Save all your money for good quality glass. Then slowly but surely you can buy the other parts here and there until you have all the absolutes that you need to be happy with your shooter.

I should have bought a used one, because I wound up replacing EVERYTHING except the receiver! hahahahahaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts