Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a question for you... I'm looking at getting a Remington 700 ADL later today or tomorrow and I want to know what caliber to get. I'm planning on using it for hunting (deer and maybe boar), plinking, and target shooting out to 300-500 meters.
Which caliber do you think I should get? I'm looking for the cheapest ammo type, larger loads don't scare me (this is my 7th gun purchase this year, I've shot pretty much every type of rifle you can find on a range). I have a choice between .243, 7MM Mag, .25-06, .270, .30-06, and 7MM-08. Right now I'm leaning towards the 7MM Mag or .270, but I want to know what an experienced hunter would recommend (I've actually never been). I'd also like to know what optics you would recommend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey guy i like the 7mm cals. i have a 7mm. o8. that i have taken many deer with, but with hunting anything else. i would go with 7mm mag. the bullett choices are much greater than alotof the other cals, and it has that extra unf at extended ranges. you can also hunt anything in north america with it. the 270 is a fine calliber, but you might want to hunt alaskan brown bear with it. the 270 only has a few options for bullett weight, but the 7mm is almost endless. i use a 280 rem for probably the last 15 years it also uses a 7mm cal bullett. i have killed deer out to about 400 yds with it. it is my cal of choice for whitetail, but a 7mm mag would be much better!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looks like purchase is delayed a bit as Academy no longer has them in stock... The sales clerk mentioned it was because of a problem with the trigger, can anyone elaborate on that?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
There was accusations that rem triggers were unsafe. But it has been debunked time and time again. If they don't have any in stock I don't think that's the reason. I may be wrong but it don't sound kosher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jasonbourne said:
There was accusations that rem triggers were unsafe. But it has been debunked time and time again. If they don't have any in stock I don't think that's the reason. I may be wrong but it don't sound kosher.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll just wait till next month as they don't seem to restock very often (they must have one lazy-ass stock manager).

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi siuol11.2, i have a rem adl 700 in 308w and also in 30/06 and blued barrel on both. both are synthetic stocks . the triggers are set at 3.5 lbs.both shoot real good. on the 308w i have put leupold dual dove tail mounts med height with vx2 3x9 40 scope. sierra 150 gr round nose hand loads group at 5/8" all day in the 308w. i use this gun on wild boars. the adl in 30/06 has a egw picattiny rail for the base and burris xtr med height rings. the scope on this rifle is a leupold vx3 3.5x10x50 with a boone & crocket dupex. this rifle is for all the bigger game animals, sambar deer, wild boars, scrub bulls. in the top end of australia a place called anhemland. also camels in the simpson desert in central australia. the hand loads in the 30/06 are 165 gr woodleighs and they group at 3/4" all the time. to get smaller groups i need to spend more time on r&d but i dont think it would be worth it. hope this helps good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
for deer and boar i'd say the 270. if you want an all around good round the 30-06, can load up or down. if its bigger animals you want then the 7mm. my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I really like my 69 700 in 7MM Mag its kicks a little but for hunting and given that you can shoot at longer distance you cant beat it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Since ammo cost is pretty near the top of your requirements, I would choose, in order: .308 (which you don't have listed), .30-06, .270, .243, 7mm Rem Mag. If cost IS an issue, the .25-06 and 7-08 are non-starters (that pains me because the .25-06 is one of my favorites). Pretty much anything listed will be fine for deer (with proper bullets). I might be a little concerned with the .243 on hogs, but with Barnes TSX or Nosler Partitions, I would feel I was up to the task (size of the pig might be a concern).

This is all assuming prices in the PNW, US. You mention meters, so if you are not in the continental US, ammo costs might be substantially different.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i dont really know why im really partial to the .308 its a super versatile round aslo with endless possibilities. But when it come to hunting it dosent really matter what caliber you use all it takes is one well placed shot!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what I understood, it seemed like if you prefer a flatter trajectory than a 30-06, the .270 performs better and it good enough for big game.

What about the .300 Mag? It looks like the US Sniper rifle (the M24 SWS) is heading from the .308 to the .300 Mag to yield more range for the snipers.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The 270 is nice but the bullet types are kinda limited compared to a 30 cal or a 7mm. The .308 was fine the the warfare in Assganistan is now engagements of 300 yards or more. I don't think the military will fully get ride of the .308 because the success of the cartridge overall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOW! There are more correct arguments than there are calibers out there. I reload all my rifle and pistol ammo and I am a .30 cal man. You can get .30 cal bullets from 110 gr to 220 gr. The loading data out there is almost endless. I have hunting rifles in .30-06 and .308 (I know, not on the list). A .270 is basically a .27 cal in an '06 case and a 7mm-08 is a .28 cal (.284) in a .308 case. There is nothing on the North American continent that can't be taken with a .30-06 and the proper load. The military experimented with .308 vs .30-06 many moons ago and opted for .308 because they saved money on brass and powder. I used to hunt with a .300 Win Mag. Too much gun for deer, the recoil didn't bother me (I kinda liked it back then) but it was really loud (my opinion, again). The 7mm Mag is a .28 cal in a 300 case and the ammo will cost you. Remember; shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. In MY opinion, I vote .30-06. 300-500 yards, no problem. No matter what you go with you won't be wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Almost forgot. If you can afford a BDL style (hinged floor plate) it makes unloading a little easier, but it's not a deal-breaker. I have 700's in both. There's that ol' opinion, again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts